SG and when to degas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlito2017

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first batch in about 15 years, I am making a RJS Craft Winemaking Premeur Kit. It Comes with grape peels and seeds 18 Liter 8 week Kit. They suggest Primary and secondary fermentation. Primary 6 to 8 days if SG was at or below 1.020 mine was at .993 on day 8. Secondary should be in a carboy with airlock for another week or until SG 0.998 or lower then degas, HOWEVER my SG is already at 0.993.
Question, will I cause any problems by letting this go another week in a carboy with airlock for another full week Then rack and degas.
The temp is about 75°

Sorry long winded...
Thanks in advance, C :)

Hi, This is my first batch in about 15 years, I am making a RJS Craft Winemaking Premeur Kit. It Comes with grape peels and seeds 18 Liter 8 week Kit. They suggest Primary and secondary fermentation. Primary 6 to 8 days if SG was at or below 1.020 mine was at .993 on day 8. Secondary should be in a carboy with airlock for another week or until SG 0.998 or lower then degas, HOWEVER my SG is already at 0.993.
Question, will I cause any problems by letting this go another week in a carboy with airlock for another full week Then rack and degas.
The temp is about 75°

Sorry long winded...
Thanks in advance, C :)

No, it'll be fine. I left my last premium kit for far longer than that, and actually didn't need to degas by the time I got around to it. It naturally degassed with time all on its own! I don't recommend that necessarily, but it sure won't hurt a bit to let it sit.

Back