SG always too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willthegoth

Reaction score
I'm extract brewing and using 8 lbs of DME. Boiling for 60 mins and generally following all the recipes. I start with approx 3.5 gals in my brewpot and then topping up to 5 in the fermenter. My last recipe I followed said SG would be 1.069 and I got 1.038. It's not the first time I've got way below what I expected. What am I doing so wrong?

willthegoth said:
I'm extract brewing and using 8 lbs of DME. Boiling for 60 mins and generally following all the recipes. I start with approx 3.5 gals in my brewpot and then topping up to 5 in the fermenter. My last recipe I followed said SG would be 1.069 and I got 1.038. It's not the first time I've got way below what I expected. What am I doing so wrong?

You are not getting a good mix of the wort and top off water and its a typical occurrence. Don't worry about and use the OG stated with the recipe

If you are truly adding 8 lbs of DME to a total of 5 gallons of water, you *should* be getting 1.069 (actually abouy 1.072 by my calculator). That is the definition of gravity. If you are measuring 1.038 your hydrometer must be way off. Put your hydrometer in tap water and see if it reads 1.000. The paper scale can slip.

EDIT: What duboman said. Make sure it is all mixed up before you measure. Good thought.

Back