Sevin on hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
What is the correct ratio of ounces per gallon of water to spray Sevin on hops?

not sure what the ratio is but look for a ratio given for leafy veg or fruits before forming as long as you don't have buds yet

I'm no expert, but isn't Sevin only recommended for plants that won't be consumed? Well, not any time soon anyway.

WTF, I sprayed my hops with Sevin twice and 2 days later after spraying both times, I find Japanese Beetles on my hops. The weird thing is they really like the tallest, most developed Mt. Hood plant. The other 3 have been chewed on but not like this one.

What else can I do? I also have a Japanese beetle trap in the yard which is helping but it's not solving the problem. My leaves are starting to yellow on all of my plants.

Diatomaceous earth! Amazing Stuff

"Diatomite is also used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the cuticle, the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate. Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. Beekeepers are apparently experimenting with it, to keep small hive beetles from breeding. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans. It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate a cockroach infestation."

Diatomaceous earth is easily obtained at a swimming pool supply warehouse. It is normally used as a filter medium. Don't quote me on the price but I think you can get a 20 lb bag for about $15.

Wikipedia states that it's used for inscect control. Last year I had a garden problem with stink bugs. Couldn't get rid of em! They stung all of my tomatoes and squash. Got so bad i just tilled everything under. Only thing growing this year are my hops.

Latest posts

Back