Several water choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40watt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have to get some samples done. I am fascinated by the options I have when it comes water.

First option is my home water. I have tried repeatedly to get a report with little results. I keep asking, and they keep playing dumb. I finally got them to send me a "profile", but it was limited to contaminates. No information on hardness or alkalinity. If I ever get to be home on a weekday, I will go there in person and demand to speak to someone who isn't an idiot.

I know the makeup will be similar to the rest in the area. Moderate hardness, and full of chlorine/chloramine. I made a batch using it and didn't detect any band aid flavor so it may have been boiled out, which would make it chlorine. I bought a rv filter for the hose outside (were I have moved my brewing operation), but the water still stinks of chorine. I don't get it.

The second option is water from my parents well. This water tastes GREAT. It is also hard as hell. Quickly ruins coffee makers and water heaters kind of hard. Full of sediment from sandstone and gypsum.

The area where I live is very hard. There are several places nearby where gysum is mined. Off the the east, the hills are full of sulpher.

I also made a batch using water from a spring nearby. The Rush Springs aquifer has clear water without sediment or cloudiness. I want to have it tested because even though it has no sediment, I know it is very high in calcium carbonate.

I love the water I have at my disposal. I just wish I new the exact specs on it so I would know when and how much to dilute it.

That said, I'm a beginner and have yet to move to AG, but I will soon. I like to do my research.

Back