Seventh Batch, One Bottle Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirbster

Reaction score
So I have brewed ten batches so far. Four extract brews with steeping grains then two partial mashes. Then I moved on to All grain for the last four. My first all grain batch #7 was a Bee Cave IPA. I figured a tried and true recipe was needed for my first all grain batch. I also changed my bottling techniques.

For the previous six batches I ran my bottles through the dishwasher on full cycle to sanitize, then bottle 24, and then cap 24 before starting over again with the second run. My first all grain batch I limited the dishwasher to rinse cycle and hot dry to sanitize. I then pulled two cases of cleaned bottles out and dunked them in a batch of star san for 1 minute before using the dishwasher rack as my drying rack. I then pulled 12 bottles and filled them and then capped them. Between the 12 I used a sanitized stirring spoon to stir the beer and carbonation sugar to keep it as mixed as possible. I did this because my 5th and 6th batch I got a disproportionate amount of gushers that I was unhappy about. And narrowing it down to the dishwasher that leaves food particles in glasses after I wash them I figured that running bottles through the unit these particles get in the bottle giving me these gushers.

The SWMBO was back in MN for spring break and I am enjoying some beer on the couch watching a good movie and I hear a dull thud come from the other room. Instantly I realize what it was, even though I wished it to be something else. Sure enough I opened my conditioning closet and notice beer dripping from my two week old bottled conditioned IPA case. The bottom of the bottle was blown out now I am one bottle short. I hope this is an isolated incident. I do not want to lose my first all grain and my first IPA to faulty techniques. I just wanted to share my first experience with bottle conditioning not going the way I envisioned it. Out of 8 batches bottled, is one bottle blowing up that irregular or is that expected?

I have had occasional single bottle bombs over the years. it's really nothing to worry about. It happens from time to time. It could be any number of things, especially a flaw in a bottle, and the pressure of carbing simply blows it. It could be the result of a slippage in santation, and you got a single gusher infection

It really could be anything, and it's not something you can necessarily control, since you don;t know what could have caused it, so there's no point in stressing out about it.

Things happen, so just relax.

Thanks Revvy, your post on bottling taught me how to go about bottling and it is very appreciated. I kind of figured it was a random occurrence. I just need to pay attention to my sanitizing techniques. Plus I plan on getting the Vinator and combining that with my bottle washer to ensure that what goes into the bottle is sparkling clean.

Update: I chilled two bottles from that batch and after a long days work I cracked one open. I fully expected a gusher of epic proportions. However I was greeted with a reassuring psssst. The IPA is carbed beautifully and coincidentally has a wonderful hop flavor and aroma. I am really pleased with myself as this is my first all-grain brew. I still plan on changing some of my bottling techniques, replacing hoses and spigots. I also plan on getting a vinator. I did run an experiment, I placed a bowl on the top rack of the dishwasher and ran it. Afterwords I checked the bowl and there was a plethora of food/organic bits located within. I can only presume that when I used the dishwasher to sanitized that this organic matter made its way into the bottle, providing a platform for infections.

Back