setup to clean draft lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
I was down at the Robert Simpson Brewery the other day, and they have a setup to clean out draft lines.

Looks to be a plastic bottle that you fill with a cleaning solution, that has a hand pump and a ball lock post attached to it. The idea would be that you hook up your line, and hand pump some solution through it.

Seemed like a pretty slick setup. Anyone use/seen something like this? Does it work well? I'd particularly like it for cleaning out picnic tap lines.

I know a lot of places sell hand pumps that attach to cornys for just this reason. Basically fill up your corny with cleaning solution then pump through.

I have personally just blown it through with CO2, but that just me. I just refill a 20 pound tank so a little bit of CO2 is worth so little, the cost for a pump seems excessive to me.

Yes, blowing through with CO2 is fine...if you have an empty corny!
I'm thinking of this for a portable solution, that's why I mentioned the picnic tap. It would be easier to carry a little pump around than an empty corny to fill and blow your lines out.

It's a very common product..... I find it easier just to clean the lines every time I blow a keg. Put Oxyclean in the keg, push some threw the lines with co2. Put Starsan in the keg, push some threw with co2. Insures that everything gets cleaned/sanitized including the diptubes in the cornies and keggerator parts. If you use the pump your gonna have to take off your facets to hook it up to the shanks. I've used the pump when I first got my keggerator years ago....Drippy pain in the arse....and you still have to clean the faucets separately.

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/line-cleaning-cid-59.html

+1 on using your corny keg to clean the lines - much easier to do every time you clean a keg. You don't need to have an extra keg! And now that you saved that money on the plastic bottle you can buy an extra keg.

Never owned a plastic pumped bottle of any kind that did not fail. At $25+ you are not going to be very happy when it does.

I just fill up the keg with sanitizer and blow threw the lines with compressed air (ball lock connector connected to pneumatic line).

Since I have quick disconnects, I clean out ALL of my lines (3) every time I have an empty keg. It only takes a minute to change the disconnect from the "empty" line to the ones that are still in use, and if you finish with no rinse starsan, I figure, why not?

Back