Settling a non-flocculant starter IDEA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorg

Reaction score
I like Kolsch. But the wyeast kolsch yeast is a bastard when it comes to flocculation.
I like to make large starters in an erlenmyer flask using DME to ensure yeast health in the main ferment.
Problem is, with very low flocculating yeast, much of the yeast is poured out and wasted when decanting the fermented DME starter. This obviously partly defeats the purpose of a starter.
So, an IDEA.
What if I took an old turntable, modified it to hold the flask, and adjusted the gearing to spin at say 200rpm (since it probably already does 45 or maybe if really old 78), and sat the finished starter on it.
The angle of the flask would encourage the yeast to hit the sides and run down to the bottom, ready for decanting - maybe.

????

Doesn't work well for this yeast.
I have had it in a keg at near freezing and it has taken months.

My feeling is that cold crashing artificially selects the 'dusty' yeast so I don't do it. The most flocculent yeast are the ones that drop out straight away so leave the dusty ones behind.

I think it's cool you have a turntable though.

Sure it's not infected?

I managed to crash cool out most of the yeast over a few days with WLP300 hefe starter, surely the kolsch yeast can't be less flocculating than that?

Back