settle time for all that stuff in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
Any ideas on average fall out time of all those little tee nightsee white mite looking things I assume are yeast in my beer. Are we looking at weeks for it to fall down to bottom or faster?? I do have the foamy krausen head on top at day 3 and a nice thick white cake on bottom that is slightly growing. any info on process appreciated -- thanks doc

It's different with every brew but typically once the krausen falls you won't see all those clumps of yeast either. I've seen it be as short as 4 days and as long as 3 weeks for fermentation to finish completely.

Any ideas on average fall out time of all those little tee nightsee white mite looking things I assume are yeast in my beer. Are we looking at weeks for it to fall down to bottom or faster?? I do have the foamy krausen head on top at day 3 and a nice thick white cake on bottom that is slightly growing. any info on process appreciated -- thanks doc

On day three you'll see a lot of swirling. That is the yeast and whatever else got into your beer from the boil kettle. By the end of fermentation, you won't see it swirling around as much. By week 2 in primary, depending on the fermentation, you should be in good enough shape to bottle.

Personally, I cold crash most of my beer. The colder you get it for a few days, the more stuff will fall out of it.

Give it a minimum of two weeks before you start thinking about mucking with it. :)

Once terminal gravity is reached, the yeast will flocculate and drop out of suspension given enough time.

+1 on cold crashing, great idea! clearer beer and better taste!

No matter what with all my brews, 3 weeks atleast no matter what and sometimes a month if it's not clear enough.

Latest posts

Back