Setting up a blowoff...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdub

Reaction score
I had some overflow into my airlock this evening, so i rushed off to Lowes for some tubing to make a blow off. By time i returned, it seemed as though no further encroachment into the airlock had occurred. Still, i fashioned a tube that was 5 feet in length, a good 3 feet of it coiled nicely in a gallon jug half filled of sanitizer. It seems to me that this will be a fine set up to prevent any ruin to my beloved brew, But i thought that i should come here to be sure.

So, all is well right?

Nevermind. There is now loads of filth roaring through it into my reservoir of sanitizer. I suppose i ought to only relax and go drink the last of my Bud Light stash.

Like this?
11999-honeyweizenbo002.jpg

If so your good to go.

It something similar. I have one of those two nippled orange caps on my better bottle, and i have a smaller hose coming out of that opening. My fear was that with the seeming death of the overflow, that my response was a bit larger than necessary, and thus would bring some horrid end to my creation via contamination.

On my glass carboys I just jam the hose in the top, it fits nice and tight so no airlock or cap is needed. The bigger the hose the less chance it will plug up.

Back