setting gaps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy-Klubb

HBT Berry Puncher
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 10gal cooler set up from NB. just got the Barley Crusher from them as well. it's preset at .39 I know there's more to efficiency than just the crush, but what gap have any of you been getting your best efficiency with?

There doesn't seem to be a "one size fits all" in setting the crusher because there are differences in equipment and how it is set up. Try a batch with yours as is. Check the efficiency you get. Not good enough for you? Set the mill tighter. When you get the grains milled so fine that you have trouble getting the wort to flow out of the tun, you went a little too far. Back it off a bit and see if it solves the problem.

I was at .034, and that worked well for me in BIAB, but I did close the gap even more later on, and this is currently good also.

There is a survey here.

There doesn't seem to be a "one size fits all" in setting the crusher because there are differences in equipment and how it is set up. Try a batch with yours as is. Check the efficiency you get. Not good enough for you? Set the mill tighter. When you get the grains milled so fine that you have trouble getting the wort to flow out of the tun, you went a little too far. Back it off a bit and see if it solves the problem.

I suppose I didn't make myself clear. I was just wondering what gap on your mill is helping with your best efficiency. I understand not all mills, equipment, brewing practices, water, and barley are the same.

My barley crusher is at .037 and my efficiency is 82%

Keep in mind though that crush is just one element of efficiency.

so, with my old POS Corona mill, I was getting about 75%. fancy new mill- 85%. maybe it was the Marris Otter, but I'm gonna blame the new mill that crushes nice without shredding the hulls.

.035 here. >80% efficiency usually.

I run wheat once at that gap then again tightened all the way down. That's the only time I change it.

Back