Set it and forget it force carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
I've been reading some of the older posts on kegging w/ force carbing, and I'm really liking the set it and forget it idea. I've had my Blond ale in the secondary for a couple of weeks and am getting ready to keg it ) 1st time kegging). My question is...do I set to (around 15 psi according to chart / american ale) desired pressure and put in fridge, or do I still set to 20psi, purge 3x and then set to 15 and put in fridge?

Thanks!!

I always purge- it fills the headspace with co2 (since co2 is heavier than o2) and so I'm assured that the oxygen in the keg will be removed, and co2 and beer remain. I don't always do it at 20 psi, though, just enough to seat the lid so there are no leaks. Then, purge and do it again. Then, set at 12 psi (for my system, that's my pressure) in the fridge. Because the beer is warm when I put it in the fridge, I always check it later to make sure the pressure gauge is still at 12 psi when chilled.

Latest posts

Back