Session light extract recipe, need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnoob1

Reaction score
So, I've seen a ton of recipes out there that could be great session beers for those BMC people or those like my SWMBO that barely drink anything heavier than a Bud Light that are All Grain. I haven't seen too many reviews on extract versions of those. So far, I have a BierMuncher Centennial Blonde in my fermenter. However, I think something went wrong with either the water or infection as I've mentioned in other posts that there is an off flavor that is hard to describe. It will probably get dumped to not take up my equipment (I will attempt this beer again in the future though). Does anyone have a tried and true extract recipe that makes a great sessionable and light drinker that could appeal the masses? I don't mind it a little hoppy but don't want it over powering. Just want it very balanced and appealing to a variety type of crowd. Any info would be great guys! Thanks

There's a ton of light, sessionable beer kits and recipes. Something like a cream ale or ordinary bitter should be light enough for most people. Heffes or American wheats are also usually a crowd pleaser among lighter beer drinkers. Scottish 60/- & 70/- beers are great too. Look around here in the recipe section or check out some kits from retailers.

My 3rd batch ever was a light session ale that was super approachable by any palate. I've been meaning to circle back around and brew it again, but I'm still experimenting with other styles. Anyways:

6gal water
4.5 lbs. Munton's Light DME
1 lb. Carapils
.75 lb. Crystal 20L
.25 oz. Sterling pellet hops (60 min)
.5 oz. Sterling pellet hops (30 min)
.5 oz. Sterling pellet hops (5 min)
1 tsp. Irish Moss (10 min)
Safale S-04 dry yeast

My OG was 1.041, primary 8 days, secondary 17 days, FG was 1.011

My 3rd batch ever was a light session ale that was super approachable by any palate. I've been meaning to circle back around and brew it again, but I'm still experimenting with other styles. Anyways:

6gal water
4.5 lbs. Munton's Light DME
1 lb. Carapils
.75 lb. Crystal 20L
.25 oz. Sterling pellet hops (60 min)
.5 oz. Sterling pellet hops (30 min)
.5 oz. Sterling pellet hops (5 min)
1 tsp. Irish Moss (10 min)
Safale S-04 dry yeast

My OG was 1.041, primary 8 days, secondary 17 days, FG was 1.011

This is basically what I'm looking for. How was the hop profile? Pretty good? Balanced? Use anything more/less?

I'm thinking of retrying BM's CB as honestly, I don't know what went wrong. I followed the recipe to a T. Nothing changed in my brewing process either. Used the same equipment, same water, same everything.

This is basically what I'm looking for. How was the hop profile? Pretty good? Balanced? Use anything more/less?

It was definitely more on the malty side and could maybe use a bit more hop all around. HOWEVER, this was before I started doing late extract additions. I was doing full boil, but I think my hop utilization is better now that the wort isn't so sweet during hopping, so the next time I brew this it may end up hoppier due to the procedural change alone. We'll see.

All that being said, there weren't any complaints about "too malty" or "not hoppy enough" from the tasters who were beer-o-philes.

If you brew it, let me know how it turns out! :mug:

Well,I'm waiting till tomorrow when we try our latest brews to say/list anything,but my wife's summer ale looks promissing in this regard. It's all extract,with cooper's OS lager can,1lb plain light DME,1lb plain wheat DME,& 1oz each US Golding & Willamette. With 6TBSP worth of juice from Trulemon crystal in the priming solution. I intended the recipe to be a SA summer ale clone,but forgot the Grains of Paradise. It looks to be a light golden color too_OG1.042,FG1.011 for 4.7%ABV by cooper's calculator formula of (OG-FG)/7.46 + .5=ABV%. I'll give particulars if the tasting tomorrow comes out well. At bottling,it did smell of floral,nectar,lemony goodness. Kind of a bright,chearfull sort of aroma. We'll see how well that translates at some 5 weeks in the bottles at fridge time.

Back