Session IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMcGuen

Reaction score
Looking to make a good yard beer that's not just hop water. I thought about maybe steeping some of the grains so I can get flavor without the high abv. Anyone got any ideas or a good recipe? All grain please.

Looking at all the old threads on here, it seems this is a tough nut to crack. Maybe I should just drink more and develop a higher tolerance?

You could get a tasty session with just 2 row or Maris otter as base, some Munich/Victory for color and malt flavor. 90% 2-row or Maris otter, 10% Munich/Victory. I would get the IBU's in the 20's and dry hop with 3 ounces. Just get your numbers right for it to finish around 4.5%.

I agree with Plazola on having at least 90% base malt and then adding a little character malt for the remainder. I like to go 90% 2 Row, 7% Munich, 3% Carapils.

As for hops, 3-4 ounces in 5 gallons works well (mostly late addition of course), plus 1-2 ounces dry hop. Mosaic is pretty potent if you're looking for solid flavor and aroma. I also love Chinook, particularly for dry hopping as it give you that classic IPA aroma.

Use a flavorful basemalt like maris otter, 5% munich and a splash of light caramel. Add a lot of flavorful late and dry hops. Bitter to 50 IBU

Not a session IPA but my summer/tailgating beer:
6# pils
1.25# Munich
.5 # Carapils
7g Coriander at 5 min

Any hops I have to get to roughly 14 IBU
Yeast: Wyeast 3522 @ 68*

OG: 1.040
FG: 1.008
ABV: 4.2%

Mash high and keep the fermentation temperature at 68* or lower and it leaves a nice low alcohol beer that has some yeast derived flavor. It's great to sit and drink for a couple hours at a game and still be able to drive home

Do you want a clean finishing yeast like a US 05 or something that will leave some flavor behind?

I would use Maris Otter, Golden Promise, or Belgian Pale (Dingemans or Castle) as the base malt to get more flavor. I agree with the people above saying to use some Munich and crystal to add more complexity. Mash higher than you typically would to leave some residual sweetness and body so that you don't get "hop water" like you mentioned. US-05 would be fine but an English yeast strain might add a little more character. Maybe WY 1968?

I would use Conan. It produces a fair amount of glycerol, which will help retain a sense of body in the beer. And it produces delicious esters

Back