Session IPA feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philjohnwilliams

Reaction score
I have some grain and hops that I would like to use up before they go stale, so to use them up I came up with this recipe for a session IPA. I have only limited experience with galaxy hops and have never brewed with citra before, so feedback on the hopping would be greatly appreciated. Here is the recipe:

9 lbs 2 row
.5 lbs C10
.5 lbs wheat malt

.5 oz Galaxy (15% aa) 60 min
.5oz Galaxy (15% aa) 15 min
.5 oz Galaxy (15% aa) 10 min
.5 oz Galaxy (15% aa) 5 min
1 oz Galaxy 0 min
1 oz Citra 0 min
1 oz citra dry hop 5 days
1 oz galaxy dry hop 5 days

I plan to let the 0 min additions steep for 30 min

According the Brewer's Friend calculator, the stats are as follows
OG 1.056
FG 1.016 (while my OG numbers always match the calculation from Brewer's Friend, I find the FG numbers it gives me are always about .004 too high, so I figure this will really finish around 1.012)
IBU 58

I will mash at 154f
Yeast will be US -05 at 68f

That all sounds pretty good to me. I'd probably move the 15, 10 & 5 mins all to flame out though. Do you have anything else to use for bittering? Magnum or anything else with high alpha acid? Galaxy is too good to use for bittering in my opinion.

I have other hops to use for bittering, but I am trying to use up some Galaxy that has been open for a while. I may try moving the late addition hops to flameout, sounds like a good idea.

Back