Servomyces in starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
I just finished reading Chris White's book, "Yeast" and have been looking into zinc supplementation for yeast growth/metabolism. Sounds like using Servomyces is perhaps the best way to go, except for the expense.

In "How to Brew", Palmer states..."Zinc acts as a catalyst and tends to carry over into the succeeding generation—therefore it is probably better to add it to either the starter or the main wort but not both."

So, I'm wondering if one could get a large part of the benefits of the zinc in Servomyces at a reduced cost by scaling down the amount in a capsule (from a 5 gallon batch size) and just use it in the starter. I have access to lab grade scales, so accuracy shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts??

thanks....I've read that and probably most other Servomyces threads on here already, but my question is pretty specific and a departure from conventional Servomyces use.

i really didn't expect too many responses with regard to practical experience, just wondering if there are any inherent flaws in the proposal. maybe i should post on the Brew Science forum.

Back