Serving Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brick

Reaction score
I had no idea what a difference serving temperature made until this week. Since I started homebrewing I have generally kept bottles in the back of my fridge. I don't know exactly how cold that is, but it must be below 40F. Recently I rediscovered this little Cuisinart 6-bottle wine fridge that my wife got me ages ago, but we never used because we're too busy drinking homebrew. Turns out it fits 15 bottles quite comfortably.

The thing is, it only goes down to 45F. But you know what? The difference in flavor is huge...and good...at what I previously thought was "warm." There's all this nuance that I had no idea was there. It's like re-discovering my beer!

Unfortunately this means I'm also picking up those little imperfections to which my taste buds were previously numb. That's OK, though. It'll just motivate me to improve. I'm finally going AG (just a happy coincidence) so we'll see what that brings.

Back