Serving temp force carbonation time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afr0byte

Reaction score
Hey, folks. I'm curious, how long does it take everyone's beer to carbonate in their kegerator/keezer at serving pressure? Mine takes about 2 weeks at serving pressure (maybe a tad longer), having put the keg in at anywhere from the 50s to upper 60s degrees F (so, it probably takes a day or two to get to the temp of the keezer) in the keezer. I usually keep my keezer at about 40-45 (depending on the styles I have in there). My CO2/regulator are in the keezer sitting on foam insulation, so they're only touching air (or perhaps one of the kegs). The reason I ask is because some people report carbonation only taking anywhere from a few days to a week at serving pressure. Am I doing something wrong? Obviously it'd probably go a bit faster if I had the temp at about 32 or something, but I'd like to serve one beer while carbonating the other.

When I keg my brews, it's already been cold crashed (for a week) at 35*F, so the beer is pre-chilled. Some of it has been lagering for several weeks. My keezer is set at 38*F. At 12psi it takes about 9-10 days, but I normally give it two weeks before I consider it ready to share.

When I keg my brews, it's already been cold crashed (for a week) at 35*F, so the beer is pre-chilled. Some of it has been lagering for several weeks. My keezer is set at 38*F. At 12psi it takes about 9-10 days, but I normally give it two weeks before I consider it ready to share.

Certainly the prechilling would take off 2 of my days (since I don't pre chill). It sounds like yours still takes the same amount of time mine does though, if it takes 2 weeks until it's ready to share. What exactly do you mean by ready to share? Are we talking about conditioning or waiting for carbonic bite to dissipate?

From what I gather, it will take 2 to 3 weeks for the carbonation in solution (beer) to reach equilibrium with the pressure in the headspace while under constant/consistent pressure. This is regardless of temperature or PSI as long as they are both consistent.

Have a look through here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

That's my understanding as well. That's why I started the thread. I figured that maybe I'm missing something.

The reason I ask is because some people report carbonation only taking anywhere from a few days to a week at serving pressure. Am I doing something wrong?

Not sure anyone is getting full carbonation at serving pressure in a few days to a week. So you aren't missing something there. What some people will do is burst carb it at 30PSI and rock it for a few minutes (after chilling) then set it at serving pressure for a few days to carbonate. Maybe that is it?

Not sure anyone is getting full carbonation at serving pressure in a few days to a week. So you aren't missing something there. What some people will do is burst carb it at 30PSI and rock it for a few minutes (after chilling) then set it at serving pressure for a few days to carbonate. Maybe that is it?

Well certainly that's one way to get it done faster. I'm guessing they must not be mentioning that it's not completely carbonated or something? I've definitely seen many people say that it's carbonated (I assume they mean at the expected volumes, but I could be wrong in that assumption.) for them after about a week (some even say in just a few days) with set it and forget it. Then again, one guy I asked about that (who mentioned a few days) neglected to mention that he shakes it once every time he remembers...which is different from what he said (something like "set it at serving pressure and it's carbonated in 3-4 days").

If you don't have a dual pressure regulator, you're stuck with serving pressure for all your kegs. In this case you'll just have to wait if you want to set it and forget it. Jump up to a different regulator though, and you could up the pressure for your new kegs to carb them faster while maintaining serving pressure on everything else. Or, you could turn off the kegs that are ready, bump up the pressure on the new kegs and blast them with 20 -30 psi for a few days to shave some time off. I don't have a dual pressure regulator, so I what I usually do in this situation is to turn off my kegs that are ready and up the pressure. If I pour a glass from the good keg, I'll open the valve for a few seconds to replace the CO2 I just used and then shut the valve back off. This way I can still enjoy my beer that's ready without over carbing it while carbonating the other keg faster. Once the new keg starts getting close to desired carb level, I set the regulator back to serving pressure and open up all the valves again.

If you don't have a dual pressure regulator, you're stuck with serving pressure for all your kegs. In this case you'll just have to wait if you want to set it and forget it. Jump up to a different regulator though, and you could up the pressure for your new kegs to carb them faster while maintaining serving pressure on everything else. Or, you could turn off the kegs that are ready, bump up the pressure on the new kegs and blast them with 20 -30 psi for a few days to shave some time off. I don't have a dual pressure regulator, so I what I usually do in this situation is to turn off my kegs that are ready and up the pressure. If I pour a glass from the good keg, I'll open the valve for a few seconds to replace the CO2 I just used and then shut the valve back off. This way I can still enjoy my beer that's ready without over carbing it while carbonating the other keg faster. Once the new keg starts getting close to desired carb level, I set the regulator back to serving pressure and open up all the valves again.

Indeed. I do have a dual pressure regulator, so I could do that. I prefer the set it and forget method though, as I don't have to worry about overcarbonation/carbonic bite (I find that if I do the 30 psi thing I still have to wait a few extra days until it doesn't taste like it was carbonated at high pressure). I was just hoping there was something I was missing for the set it and forget it method.

I was just hoping there was something I was missing for the set it and forget it method.

Nope. Takes time. One week is ok, two weeks is better. I like to wait a month if I can, but that has more to do with cold conditioning than carbonating.

Nope. Takes time. One week is ok, two weeks is better. I like to wait a month if I can, but that has more to do with cold conditioning than carbonating.

I tend to agree that it just takes time. I guess what I'm really interested in is what are these people's definition of carbonated? Are we talking full carbonation (to the saturation point at that temp/pressure), enough carbonation that I don't mind drinking it, or...?

Indeed. I do have a dual pressure regulator, so I could do that. I prefer the set it and forget method though, as I don't have to worry about overcarbonation/carbonic bite (I find that if I do the 30 psi thing I still have to wait a few extra days until it doesn't taste like it was carbonated at high pressure). I was just hoping there was something I was missing for the set it and forget it method.

I've been doing 30 psi for 36 hours, if I put in a warm keg, and then purging to 12 psi with the rest of the kegs (temp is 40 degrees). The beer is nicely carbed in about 5 days, with no "bite" at all. I never shake or rock the keg, and I pour off the first 3 ounces or so, which is full of yeast sludge. It works really well for me.

I've been doing 30 psi for 36 hours, if I put in a warm keg, and then purging to 12 psi with the rest of the kegs (temp is 40 degrees). The beer is nicely carbed in about 5 days, with no "bite" at all. I never shake or rock the keg, and I pour off the first 3 ounces or so, which is full of yeast sludge. It works really well for me.

Do you tape a probe to your keg or let it dangle?

I tend to agree that it just takes time. I guess what I'm really interested in is what are these people's definition of carbonated? Are we talking full carbonation (to the saturation point at that temp/pressure), enough carbonation that I don't mind drinking it, or...?

Bottom line is it takes a few days over two weeks for five gallons in a corny keg to reach carbonation equilibrium if left alone with the gas pressure set for the beer temperature to reach the desired volumes of CO2. Serving any time before that by definition means the beer wasn't fully carbed...

Cheers!

Bottom line is it takes a few days over two weeks for five gallons in a corny keg to reach carbonation equilibrium if left alone with the gas pressure set for the beer temperature to reach the desired volumes of CO2. Serving any time before that by definition means the beer wasn't fully carbed...

Cheers!

That's been my experience as well.

Cheers!

I'm with Yoop on this one, 24 -36 hours at 30 PSI cuts a week off the schedule.

I set and forget occasionally as well, but that cn be like watching grass grow.

Hey, I voted for you, btw.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

I've never had BigFloyd's beers, but I would guess that the carbonation that is good enough for us but not yet for guests that he's talking about is that 'finer' carbonation, if that makes sense. Not that acid bite that comes earlier in burst carbed beers, but sort of a coarse carbonation feeling and head, if that makes sense. But then, in just a couple of days, the carbonation seems to change to exactly right. The bubbles are smaller, and more refined, and the head seems denser with finer bubbles.

I'm with Yoop on this one, 24 -36 hours at 30 PSI cuts a week off the schedule.

I set and forget occasionally as well, but that cn be like watching grass grow.

[...]I set and forget occasionally as well, but that cn be like watching grass grow.

Nothing that a steal off your local Craig's List can't solve :D

A few years ago I added a separate cold-conditioning/carbonation fridge ($100 for a 2 year old 17cf top-freezer in mint shape) plus a gas splitter, some tubing and a couple of gas QDs to get started, and it extended my pipeline by a good three weeks. I eventually sprang for a separate gas system for it as it can charge five kegs while I have six on tap in the keezer...

Cheers!

I didn't read the 2nd page due to horrible internet offshore. So sorry if someone has posted what I am about too. But from what I'm gathering is you guys are carbing at 30psi for 24 hours or so. I have had consistent results bumping it up to 50psi for 20-24 hours, remove air, purge and put up to serving pressure. It's good enough to drink a few that day actually. Of course by day 3 or 4 it really starts to come around. And after 2 weeks it's incredible. But if you guys are like me and want to at least have a few glasses immediately, try it out.

I didn't read the 2nd page due to horrible internet offshore. So sorry if someone has posted what I am about too. But from what I'm gathering is you guys are carbing at 30psi for 24 hours or so. I have had consistent results bumping it up to 50psi for 20-24 hours, remove air, purge and put up to serving pressure. It's good enough to drink a few that day actually. Of course by day 3 or 4 it really starts to come around. And after 2 weeks it's incredible. But if you guys are like me and want to at least have a few glasses immediately, try it out.

I'd be worried about pressure safety valves at that pressure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I'd be worried about pressure safety valves at that pressure.

No need to be. I use the regular 5/16" gas hose with Otiker clamps (Not hose clamps). If you were a little worried about it, buy the reinforced lines that are good at higher pressures. Worst case scenario, if it does bust, it's only 50psi. That's not a lot. I work on 3000psi hoses out here and you'd think when they bust it's bad... but not as bad as it sounds. The regulators I use go up to 60, and when you reach that they have a blow off valve so you don't tear your gauge up. Give it a shot.

No need to be. I use the regular 5/16" gas hose with Otiker clamps (Not hose clamps). If you were a little worried about it, buy the reinforced lines that are good at higher pressures. Worst case scenario, if it does bust, it's only 50psi. That's not a lot. I work on 3000psi hoses out here and you'd think when they bust it's bad... but not as bad as it sounds. The regulators I use go up to 60, and when you reach that they have a blow off valve so you don't tear your gauge up. Give it a shot.

Im not really worried about it from a safety perspective...more wasting co2...the safety valve on my old regulator was designed to blow at about 45

Thanks! I appreciate it.

I've never had BigFloyd's beers, but I would guess that the carbonation that is good enough for us but not yet for guests that he's talking about is that 'finer' carbonation, if that makes sense. Not that acid bite that comes earlier in burst carbed beers, but sort of a coarse carbonation feeling and head, if that makes sense. But then, in just a couple of days, the carbonation seems to change to exactly right. The bubbles are smaller, and more refined, and the head seems denser with finer bubbles.

Yep. The lacing seems nicer too.

3000 psi (or less) under the right (or wrong) conditions can kill. Even 50 could under rare circumstances do some harm. But it sounds like you know to use the proper fittings, hoses, etc. My cheap regulator only goes up to 30 psi.

I work offshore also, btw, although I am home at the moment.

3000 psi (or less) under the right (or wrong) conditions can kill. Even 50 could under rare circumstances do some harm. But it sounds like you know to use the proper fittings, hoses, etc. My cheap regulator only goes up to 30 psi.

I work offshore also, btw, although I am home at the moment.

Always good to meet a felow offshore hand. Who do you work for. I'm in Port at the moment. Glorious Fourchon.

Nice. I work for CI. An ROV company under Edison Chouest. Weve been out at the Discoverer Clear leader. Thats Transocean I believe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Nice. I work for CI. An ROV company under Edison Chouest. Weve been out at the Discoverer Clear leader. Thats Transocean I believe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Great. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I spent a hitch on the Clear Leader. Nice ship. See you around on the forums.

Latest posts

Back