Serving a Stout.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paraops

Reaction score
How many of you guys actually use a stout faucet and nitro to serve your stouts? I'm tossing around getting the equipment to do it but I'm still on the fence.

I dont have one, but it make a differance. My buddy has one for his Guinness always on tap..... yummm!!

I plan to do so in the next couple months. I can't wait.

I have a stout on tap right now, no nitrogen. I plan to get a stout tap and nitro setup eventually, the only problem is they arn't free. Just because you dont have a nitro setup dont let that stop you from brewing/serving stout.

I get it from a company called airgas, but look for it at a place that specializes in welding equip/supplies. Just in case you find it easier to get, argon works too. I know someone on this site uses it because they just have easier access.

It is very true that a syringe/meat injector works as a nice fix. I'll put my stout in a growler to-go and bring the meat injector. Any time you force the beer through a small opening at high pressure you get a similar effect.

It is ALSO true that you can run a beer through a stout faucet with CO2 and get the identical effect. Especially if you have a short beer line to that faucet, which is logical since there is no need to restrict the flow before the faucet. If I'm out of beergas and still want to serve my red ale I'll just hook it up to the CO2. The only problem with this is that you can't leave it hooked up to CO2, or the beer will get overcarb'd. But a few hours doesn't hurt.

I have half of a tap that i'm trying to put togeather. I took it apart when i was cleaning all 12 taps (11 regular 1 stout) and i never put the stout tap back on because i didn't have the equipment and i wouldn't for a while. It must have gotten lost in the trip form Boston to Anchorage. Another casualty of military movers. Thanks gentlemen!

I have a stout on tap right now, no nitrogen. I plan to get a stout tap and nitro setup eventually, the only problem is they arn't free. Just because you dont have a nitro setup dont let that stop you from brewing/serving stout.

I'm suckin on a keg of oatmeal stout right now, fresh out of picnic tap ;)

Are you using a stout faucet with a restricter plate?

Nope just my regular tap. At the end of the pour I let it fall in from 6" or more and that incorporates some air.

I've also just used my picnic taps and during the last bit of the pour I'll let the picnic tap be barely open and that shoots foam into the beer causing even more foam.

Back