Seriously???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, you should follow what you must for legal reasons. It's generally not worth the pain to not do so.
The important reasons for following these procedures aren't the legal ones, they're the safety ones. (Including both the basic danger inherent in discharging a firearm in a populated area, plus second order accountability type effects, etc.)

IMO, holding the vigil just goes to show how F'd up this country is. If they have an issue with what the cop did, then they need to file protests, or protest at the station over it. Holding a vigil over a freakin animal is just... Well, more than just nuts.

I bet the people that organized it, and were the majority of the people on the vigil, are either anti-gun or are vegans. :eek: :D

Not really, I don't know about the "worthless hippies" part but in general I think this whole "vigil" nonsense over the killing of an elk within city limits really points out how ridiculous our society has become.

Would it make you tough guys feel better if we called it a protest instead of a vigil?

If you don't care about the unnecessary and illegal killing of an animal, fine, but mocking people who disagree with you is pretty childish. A society where people defend a law enforcement officer poaching game inside city limits is far more ridiculous than anti-gun vegans.

Would it make you tough guys feel better if we called it a protest instead of a vigil?

There have also been calls to the Police Department and a Community meeting where the Police Cheif got grilled and also said he wanted to know why an office discharged a weapon and he didn't know about it. So there is more that is happening than just singing kumba and holding hands

You can call it whatever you want just like I can call it whatever I want and I call it nuts.

Honestly what has become of our country. Touchy feely crap that you have to tolerate in the name of PC. I said the cops looked like they did wrong but that is not enough. Oh no I have to go down on the alter of stupidity and have a candle lit vigil instead of have the elk at a candle lit dinner.

You act insane expect to be treated as such. I for one am sick and tired of this correct crap going on all the time

Please feel free to bash my post or call me insane. I was in the military to assure you of those rights

Yes I read it. Like you said, it was too brief and didn't give the context...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/07/elk-shot-by-police-mourned-at-vigil_n_2423848.html
The animal was like a neighborhood fixture and some ******* cop with a taxidermy business on the side up and kills him without license or permit. Still a little over the top to hold a vigil for the animal, but some people needed closure, apparently. Why is it a big deal to you? If an animal had become a fixture of the neighborhood, sort of like a communal pet, for a couple years and then this happened, how would you feel? If it was a dog or cat or elk makes no difference.

It's not a big deal to me at all. If the people grew attached to the animal and wanted to morn it when it was killed more power to them, I couldn't care less. It's a lot like that Samson Elk from Estes park, CO that the people made a statue for after his death, and for that matter Elk in general are a big part of that town and almost over run it during the rut but bring a tun of business to the area at the same time.

I am an avid hunter and have no problem with legally killing any large game but what I do have a problem with is poaching which is what appears to have happened in this case and the officers involved should face consequences for their actions.

My comment was directly directed at your comment below that seemed at the time to be completely unfounded and for that matter still does.

Faux news successfully spins it again! Well done, lemmings, well done.

I bet that if this had happened 20+ years ago the people would have been pissed off about not having the elk to eat. It probably would have been shot the first time it got nasty towards someone too.

I think a vigil is a good idea. The vigil brought attention to the situation without interfering in the day to day work of the Boulder PD (a demonstration in front of a police station... yeah... YOU picket the cops... I'll watch).

This isnt so much about the elk as it is 1 yahoo cop acting alone and then getting his compatriots to cover for him. This is entry-level corruption and deserves a stern slap on the wrist.

Oh and as a counter to someone's mention of their military service... I have a degree in American history. Which is... also completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Anyway, speaking of elk, I need to vent my frustration. My lovely wife does a lot of business in the Denver area. A few months ago she called me to tell me that while driving her rental car to the hotel, she came across a herd of elk, and how beautiful they are. Ok, big ole animals in a big group, thats pretty special, sure. Here's the thing... she GOT OUT OF THE CAR to watch them eat.

Out of sheer concern my voice got all magic flute and I made her promise to never do that again. SWMBO vs. 12+ 3/4 ton ungulates? No contest. No sweetheart, you were NOT that far away.

sigh.

By the way, Airborne, not to call you out but you are something of an expert on police work. What would happen if you willfully discharged your off-duty weapon within city limits without cause?

My comment was directly directed at your comment below that seemed at the time to be completely unfounded and for that matter still does.

I respectfully disagree! This is not and was not a story about a bunch of unwashed hippies holding candles for a freaking elk. This is a story about a cop who used his OFF-DUTY WEAPON to fire a gunshot ILLEGALLY and then basically called on a professional courtesy to have the press and local residents LIED TO. I make the caps because this is important.

The vigil was the only way they could think of calling attention to this low-level corruption. I think it was a masterstroke.

To dismiss them as a bunch of stupid hippies is unjust. Randar's comment about Fox News was justified.

I think a vigil is a good idea. The vigil brought attention to the situation without interfering in the day to day work of the Boulder PD (a demonstration in front of a police station... yeah... YOU picket the cops... I'll watch).

This isnt so much about the elk as it is 1 yahoo cop acting alone and then getting his compatriots to cover for him. This is entry-level corruption and deserves a stern slap on the wrist.

Oh and as a counter to someone's mention of their military service... I have a degree in American history. Which is... also completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Well no my service does come in to play as because of my service and many others before me idiots have the right to act stupid....And I would fight for their right to act stupid.

As far as having a vigil for the dead animal well I suppose if you do not have the stones to protest in front of the cops then it is a easy way out. Although I am reminded of the guy Tienanmen square standing in front of the tank. Either he had bigger stones or believed in his cause more than the idiots protesting the death of a elk.

I think we all have said that the cops were wrong or at least with the info that we do have it would appear that way. And if they are wrong I think they should be treated the same way I would be for poaching a elk inside city limits.

Closed for being full of name calling internet toughguy crap. Take it to the debate forum, if you really must.

1) equating this with Tienanmen Square is a huge stretch. It is, ironically, your service that coaxed me to not discount the rest of your post after reading that.
2) had the vigil...ers... vigileers... vigiling folks (?) picketed in front of the Police station they would have been interfering in the daily business of the police. Never good. You need a permit to protest in a public space... vigils not necessarily so. Sounds to me like they were considerably more interested in following the law (which is less stupid) than discharging an off-duty firearm within city limits and then covering it up (reeaaalllly stupid).

I respectfully disagree! This is not and was not a story about a bunch of unwashed hippies holding candles for a freaking elk. This is a story about a cop who used his OFF-DUTY WEAPON to fire a gunshot ILLEGALLY and then basically called on a professional courtesy to have the press and local residents LIED TO. I make the caps because this is important.

I totally agree, the story is not about the vigil and is absolutely about the wrong doings of the ON-DUTY officer who appears to have wrongfully shot the animal.

The vigil was the only way they could think of calling attention to this low-level corruption. I think it was a masterstroke.

To dismiss them as a bunch of stupid hippies is unjust. Randar's comment about Fox News was justified.

I dont see where fox news ever dismissed the group as stupid hippies.
do you?

BOULDER, Colo. – The elk was honored with a makeshift memorial of candles, songs and stories.

Several hundred people attended a vigil Sunday in Boulder, Colo., for the elk that was killed by a police officer. It had wandered into a neighborhood, where it was fatally shot by an on-duty police officer.

The officer has said the elk appeared injured before he shot it. He has been placed on leave.

Police say an off-duty officer who had called in sick the night the elk was killed took the carcass home to be processed for meat. The Boulder Daily Camera reported Monday that officer has a website that offers taxidermy services.

The second officer also has been placed on leave. State wildlife officials are investigating.

and the Huffington post story though significantly more personal and longer doesn't seem to really have any more information regarding what happened than the fox news story either for what its worth.

A couple hundred people turned out tonight to light candles, sing and tell stories as they mourned a beloved bull elk killed on Mapleton Hill in Boulder.

"He was a beautiful animal," said Nancy Platt, of Boulder. "He was hurting nobody. He didn't deserve what he got."

The elk was fatally shot by an on-duty Boulder police officer, who has since been placed on paid administrative leave, pending the results of an internal investigation.

A second off-duty officer, suspected of assisting in loading the animal's body into a pickup truck and taking it away to be processed for meat, also was placed on leave.

Vigil organizer Jim Riemersma said he wanted to give the neighborhood an opportunity to grieve, celebrate and find "a little bit of closure." The vigil was held on Mountain View Road at the site of a tree memorial and near the yard where the elk was shot.

"I know a lot of us have had a lot of anger, a lot of questions, a lot of uncertainty," he said. "Tonight's a celebration, a celebration of the elk. We loved him. But I think he loved us, too, because he returned to this neighborhood."

Still, emotions ran hot, with multiple calls to "fire the cops" and "jail the poachers." A meeting between Boulder Chief Mark Beckner and residents concerned about the shooting is planned for Monday.

"People live here because we love the wildlife," said Esther Parson, who lives in the foothills west of Boulder. "To murder an animal who feels like he's part of the neighborhood is despicable."

The vigil included a mix of people from the neighborhood and animal lovers from the surrounding area. Meghan Stephens, of Louisville, said she came with her husband and 14-month-old daughter to lend support to her sister, who lives in the neighborhood.

"It was a beautiful, beautiful elk," she said.

The elk had been spotted for several weeks on Mapleton Hill between 9th and 11th streets, and residents of the area gave conflicting reports as to whether it had behaved aggressively toward humans.

Numerous people living in the neighborhood insisted that it had not, that it appeared to be healthy, and said that they considered it their "guardian." The elk had been a regular visitor for two years, they said.

"He was part of the neighborhood," said resident Bobby Brown.

George Pappageorge said he would see the elk eating berries on his bushes when he checked the mail, adding they would be almost "nose to nose" without any aggression from the elk.

"It's sad he won't be coming back," he said.

so I still stand by the fact that fox news does not seem to be spinning anything in this story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back