seperating hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
In my definite wisdom, I had decided to use a hop bag for my bittering and finishing hops. But, sometimes the hop bag is a pain in the arshe to clean so I looked around some more. Came across a 3 inch stainless steel mesh ball, I guess something akin to a tea strainer. Works really great. However, most of my recipes have been calling for about an ounce (NOT a hophead) of hops. When I load up the mesh ball, all fits find but when I take it out, all the pellets expanded and they are packed pretty tightly in there when I take it out. You think I'm still getting good utilization? I haven't tried a brew yet using this setup to see if I can tell a difference, but I keep the mesh ball totally submersed in the wort. They definently don't float around like the hop bag.

that tight, I'd assume hop utilization is suffering.

maybe just get one or two more of those?

I agree - the hop utilization is probably way down with those little balls. I've never found cleaning the hop bag that difficult. Hose it down, turn it inside out, hose it down again, done. I guess you could even throw it in the washing machine if you want.

I agree on the hop bag. If you get the nice nylon ones, they clean up really easily when you turn them inside out. Use the mesh ball for dryhopping in the keg if and when you keg.

Kegging is the ONLY way to go. Haven't experimented with dry hopping, not really a hoppy person. When I popped open the mesh balls, I could still smell the hops and hence, my questions. But, maybe in a weird sort of way, this may balance it out for me. Most of my recipes, I've been holding back the hops to about 0.5 to 1 ounce of usually williamette or hallertau.
The problem, at least to me, wasn't so much cleaning the nylon hop bag as it was getting it out of the keggle to put in the finishing hops. Maybe I just need a bigger spoon.

In that case, why not build something like this?

hop%20filter.jpg

Lil' Sparky said:
In that case, why not build something like this?

hop%20filter.jpg
Nice piece of equipment you got there buddy! Thanks for sharing the pic.:mug:

Lil' Sparky that is a beautiful piece of equipment. The one I tried to make is not even close to that. It does work but not very pretty.

I still use hop bags and I usually put them in the washer with some other towels and they seem to clean up nicely. I always rinse them a ton afterwards to get rid of any detergent. I have not noticed any adverse effects.

Back