Sensible Stout (GF Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewGF

Reaction score
I brewed up the recipe below and was very pleased with the result. IMO it is a true stout with a nice character of toasted grains well-balanced against the hops. With only 1 lb of dark Belgian Candi syrup offset by an American stout style hop schedule, it is not at all sweet. The color was a rich dark chocolatey milky brown, not the black I had hoped for. Obviously, this a derivative of IG Jone's no-nonsense stout. The key component here is the cold steep of dark roasted millet acquired from jguthner on this forum. I placed the grain in ziplock bags and then rolled a bottle over the bags (as an improvised rolling pin) to crack the grains. 1.25 lbs of the grain was then cold-steeped in 1 gallon of water for about 15 hours. I strained out the grains and added the resulting mash at the start of the boil.

I don't know if this cracked the code for a nice GF extract stout, but maybe. Having said that I am sure there is room for improvement somewhere, but I am pretty happy with the outcome and I don't have any material suggestions for improvement. The buckwheat honey I used was very potent but light in color. I suppose next time I might use a more typical buckwheat honey which is much darker than what I used and then use a full pound and then reduce or eliminate the turbinado. I would keep the IBU's the same. I used Nottingham only because I had some on hand that was approaching expiration before my S-04. One person told me they would categorize this as between a stout and a Belgian quad, if that helps out at all. He did also say it was delish and I concurred. Please, try it out, try to improve it, and let me know your thoughts. Thanks !

GF stout ex
Method: Extract
Style: American Stout
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5.2 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.053 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

OG 1.055
FG 1.015
ABV 5.33%
IBU 51.06
SRM 36.18

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
5 lb White Sorghum Syrup - Gluten Free 37 1.5 59.7%
12 oz Belgian Candi Syrup - D-180 32 180 9%
6 oz Turbinado 44 10 4.5%
10 oz Maltodextrin 39 0 7.5%
6 oz Honey (Buckwheat) 42 2 4.5%
7.13 lb Total

Steeping Grains
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
1.25 lb American - Dark Roasted Millet Malt - Gluten Free 25 300 14.9%

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Nugget Leaf/Whole 14 Boil 30 min 36.13
1 oz Cascade Pellet 4.7 Boil 20 min 10.51
1 oz East Kent Goldings Pellet 6 Boil 5 min 4.42

Yeast
Nottingham

stout.jpg

steep.jpg

I eventually added more water.

ingredients.jpg

Last edited:
This looks fantastic! It's always great to see my grains getting put to good use. I'll add this to my recipe books!

It really is fantastic. I am going to send another order to your personal email shortly.

Is this less "sharp" than the no-nonsense? I just opened my first bottle tonight after one month aging. There is a super strong zing or bite to it. I know IG said it gets much better with age, so ill leave the rest for another two months. Overall I think it's pretty good and can easily become great. I think I'll have to give this version a try. I was also curious about using liquid rice extract instead of sorghum, or maybe a 50/50 mix, although I have no experience with it. How long did you age before drinking this one?

First, I dont consider the no nonsense a true stout. Its really a belgian strong ale, and very sweet, not that there is anything wrong with that. The above recipe should give you a nice American stout. No reason to age it, its ready to drink after 2 to 3 weeks after bottling.

Personally i would not use rice syrup in this recipe. Try this, i think its perfect !

Wow! Looks good!

I've never done a dark beer before. I am amazed and impressed a pound and a quarter of dark grain and 12oz of candi syrup can get such a dark color. Cold steep you say? Is there an advantage to cold steeping beyond the color? I would love to hear more about this method.

Back