Semi panic doubt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

João Machado

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have 20L of beer in my fermenter...fermenting. I filled it on december 31, making two weeks tomorrow, january 14.
The problem is, a friend of mine got covid and I'm at this time confined in my bedroom in my college. I only go 2 weekends per month home. So...this weekend I would go home, but I'm confined, and tomorrow morning I will do a covid test. If the result is negative, I can go home, otherwise I have to stay.

Is it bad to leave the beer in the fermenter for a month?...Or is it better if the next weekend I go home end bottle the beer?

What kind of beer is it? It might..and I stress might develop some off flavors (grassy) if it is a really hoppy one, but an extra couple of weeks should be okay. Typically more harm is done by pulling too early vs. too long (within reason and an extra 2 weeks is definitely within reason)?

I think really...in this day and age. It is just beer. Take care of your health, and by doing so potentially those around you that you care about too.

Hello,

I currently have 20L of beer in my fermenter...fermenting. I filled it on december 31, making two weeks tomorrow, january 14.
The problem is, a friend of mine got covid and I'm at this time confined in my bedroom in my college. I only go 2 weekends per month home. So...this weekend I would go home, but I'm confined, and tomorrow morning I will do a covid test. If the result is negative, I can go home, otherwise I have to stay.

Is it bad to leave the beer in the fermenter for a month?...Or is it better if the next weekend I go home end bottle the beer?

A month is not a big deal...RDWHAHB

I wait an extra week or so. It gives me much cleaner beer to bottle without having to resort to gelatin or cold crashing. I've been six weeks a time or two and those were some of my best beers. IMO.

What kind of beer is it? It might..and I stress might develop some off flavors (grassy) if it is a really hoppy one, but an extra couple of weeks should be okay. Typically more harm is done by pulling too early vs. too long (within reason and an extra 2 weeks is definitely within reason)?

I think really...in this day and age. It is just beer. Take care of your health, and by doing so potentially those around you that you care about too.

It is a bock...it is: Extrato Malte Premium Tradicional
It's in my native language, portuguese.

I don't know.

Has the beer reached final gravity? What is the temperature control situation where the beer aging? If you are happy with your last gravity reading, go ahead and lower aging temp.

My last beer (American Brown ale) had a one week delay in my planned bottling schedule. I dropped the temp down to 55 degrees F. Just took a sample, beautiful clear rich brown beer. I am glad I got in the extra week of aging.

Has the beer reached final gravity? What is the temperature control situation where the beer aging? If you are happy with your last gravity reading, go ahead and lower aging temp.

My last beer (American Brown ale) had a one week delay in my planned bottling schedule. I dropped the temp down to 55 degrees F. Just took a sample, beautiful clear rich brown beer. I am glad I got in the extra week of aging.

I'm not that experienced...it's my first brew.

what kind of container is your beer in? it should be fine regardless, that isn't a big deal at all and usually makes it better in most cases (anything not being dry hopped)

Back