Semi OLD School IPA... Whatta Ya'll think???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Conrad

Reaction score
Ya'll tell me what you think about this recipe... its what i came up with to be a little classic, and a little cotemorary version of a British IPA.

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 11.00
Anticipated OG: 1.066
Anticipated SRM: 13.1
Anticipated IBU: 52.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
11.00 lbs. Muntons LME - Extra Light
8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
2.50 lbs. Crystal 60L
1.50 lbs. Biscuit Malt
1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt
1.00 lbs. CaraPilsner

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Magnum Whole 14.00 39.5 60 min.
2.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 6.3 20 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings Whole 4.75 2.4 15 min.
1.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 1.6 5 min.
2.00 oz. Goldings Whole 4.75 3.0 5 min.

Yeast
1/2 WhiteLabs Burton
1/2 WhiteLabs 013 London Ale (Wyeast 1028 equiv.)
-----

The Conrad, looks good except for the amount of biscuit malt. I'd warn that a little goes a long way. It adds a bittering flavor. I would suggest cutting it down to .5 lb as it could be your most prominent flavor at the rate you currently have.

Sudster said:
The Conrad, looks good except for the amount of biscuit malt. I'd warn that a little goes a long way. It adds a bittering flavor. I would suggest cutting it down to .5 lb as it could be your most prominent flavor at the rate you currently have.

u were right on the money with this, and it hurts. 5days in the carboy, and i pulled a sample... f-ing smells like toast and tastes a little like it too... ARGH, if you'd only gotten to me sooner.... INTERVENTION.

Yeah Man, a little goes a longgggg way. I feel your pain!
Been there ..Done that

Best I can offer at this point is to Dry hop the SH!! out of it. If your keen on hops this might get you by. Spicy toast!

Its kinda funny, cuz i used WLP Burton, which is notorious for Apples, so i actually have like a Burnt Toast with Apple Butter aroma, it would be interesting and mildly pleasent if i had been expecting it, or if i had not brewed the beer and already had expectations for its taste.. ya know. Ill quit whining about it now....

Latest posts

Back