Semi-Dry / Dry Mead question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pratzie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I attended a winefest at the Split Rock Resort this weekend and came across the Stonekeep Meadery. These guys were very friendly and informative and made some great meads.

I'm interested in trying to make a clone if you will, of their black currant mead. It had a real sharp tart at first and then as your palette adjusted it became much more enjoyable and im looking to make a mead like that. It was slightly dry but not extremely overbearing so im curious... Has anyone brewed with black currants and if so how dry did yours get? Also has anyone stopped fermentation to keep it from going totally dry or do you let it go all the way and back sweeten?

Anyone with experience or some direction would be greatly appreciated!

The dryness of a wine has to do primarily with the yeasts alchohol tolerance vs the amount of fermentables added. You essentially have a couple options.

Add enough sugar to exceed the tolerance of the yeast. Depending on the type of yeast, usually 12%-18%. So if you have a yeast that will typically go to 14%, calculate the amount of sugar, you may have to add the sugar in a couple steps, so as not to shock the yeast initially.

Or calculate the abv you want, ferment it completely dry, then stabilize and back sweeten.

Personally, I'd just make a melomel using about the 3lb per gallon of honey, but also the same weight of fruit.

The fruit ? 1/3rd in primary, then once the ferment is complete, rack, stabilise and then add the other 2/3rds of the fruit (can be kept in the freezer and added frozen).

3 to 4 weeks later, taste and most likely there will be enough depth of fruit flavour, so rack off the fruit completely, then back sweeten with a mix of water and honey 50/50

Back