Semi Commercial micro malting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lxmuir

Reaction score
Ive been playing with the idea of malting my own grains for a while now ive got some ideas but if anyone has some input help would be appreciated..

I want to build this to semi commercial grade i.e welded stainless tanks/ temperature sensors, automated raking, air forced drying and purpose build kiln.
I am looking to build something that can do around 50 kg's (100 lb) at a time. so far i'm thinking steeping, germinating and drying in the same vessel 10ft long, 4ft wide and about 2ft deep (this is a bit bigger than id like but if i want to do more than 100lb it gives me the room) with a false bottom and truncated bottom. On the bottom I was thinking of butting a 3/4 inch (or soilnoid release) ball valve to dump the used water. once steeping is done hook this up to a temp controlled air fan to commence germinating and then once that is done really turn the air fan up for drying.

In terms of kilning I had thoughts of a large commercial coffee roaster (built my self) out of a 44 gallon SS drum, a rotating axle, temp controller and heating element.

Has anyone else attempted to do such a thing or have any thoughts, ideas, cautions or just any general input???

Ill draw up and upload some plans if anyone was interested in seeing this as a diagram

Sub'd.
I'd like to see your work, though the malting deal sounds a bit ambitious to me.
Will you be doing like, some special batches, or special grains to order, as it sounds to me like it might be cheaper to buy the already, readily available varieties.

I have been having similar thoughts. I started working on a kiln last winter but didn't get to far. I am planning on primarily malting heirloom barley and I am still in the process of increasing seed. I should have enough to start playing with next fall. Right now a keezer build seems more important but that shouldn't take to long. I'll be gone for a while but should be able to get back to working on thing in a week or so.

Keep us posted and share some picture of what you have so far.

Back