Selling recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richo

Reaction score
Has anyone ever sold their a recipe to their favorite brew pub? It’s not so much for the money as much as how cool it would be to have my beer on tap for everyone to enjoy. I think it would be pretty cool. :rockin:

My brew club has scaled up a few members' award winning recipes that we were invited to brew on the brewpub's system. Of course, they paid for the ingredients and the club's "payment" was just the fun of making a 10bbl batch.

I post my recipes on the internet, so I guess I don't feel very proprietary towards them! It would be cool, though, if someone actually wanted to buy it.

This subject came up recently. I don't think recipes in general, not including Coke and Pepsi, can be copyrighted...

I won the local HB contest and won the opportunity to brew 250 gals at the local brew pub as my prize. I got 10 gals from it and bragging rights...I guess that was my payment. :D

I could care less about making money, i just would like to have it on tap

Recipes, as mere lists of ingredients and procedures, cannot be copyrighted. They can be held or licensed as trade secrets, though. The recipes for Coke, Pepsi, and just about every other food product out there are trade secrets.

If, somehow, you could get into the business of selling recipes, you probably would keep it as a trade secret with some sort of license fee. The trick with a trade secret, though, is keeping it secret. :)

TL

ok, let me rephrase my question.

Has anyone given their recipe to their favorite pub and had it become a regular beer on tap?

TexLaw said:
If, somehow, you could get into the business of selling recipes, you probably would keep it as a trade secret with some sort of license fee. The trick with a trade secret, though, is keeping it secret. :)

TL

That's what non-disclosure agreements are for. :) But you're right TL, I don't think that there's anything to prevent a national or regional brewer from taking an award winning NHC recipe that appears in Zymurgy and brewing 1,000's of barrels of it a year and calling it their own.

Back