Selling homebrews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstringer1983

Reaction score
So just out of curiousity, how many of you have ever dreamed about one day selling your beer, even having it turn into a business? I have. I think about brewing all the time. I am an automotive mechanic by trade, but my dreams involve brewing. I know what most of you are thinking-yeah we have all thought about that at some point, dont do it, its not simple like you think, etc., i know. Trust me, i am a realist. Im not naive enough to think you just decide to make beer one day and away you go. However i do believe you should have a dream and some goals in life and this is mine. Are any of you selling your products or brewing in a financially rewarding way and if yes how did you get started?

Homebrew cannot be sold. Opening a licensed brewery requires a lot of capital and about a hundred miles of red tape to get through.

It's illegal. That being said i used to have a neighbor that brewed 40-50gal batches and sold to fraternities and marines nearby. No car, no house, no wife, no job - nothing to lose (except some freedom). I wouldn't want the risk, just not worth it for me.

But do I think about giving the job the heave-ho and starting a nano-brewery? All the time. I also "free worked" at one of the craft breweries here in San Diego and got a taste of doing it "for real". And quickly saw that brewing (and doing anything for work) is work, it's not nearly as fun as homebrewing. And incredibly backbreaking. They gladly started me milling 45-50 bags of grain, i barely could walk after that. Then cleaning the brewkettle, etc. It's hard work. But i still think about it : )

Thanks for the responses all :) i understand the advice based on your locations, but the good news for me is the region in canada i live in just made it legal to sell home made craft beers and wines at local market (farmers markets) with permission by the market owner and a certification obtained by the province. It is easily done as many a homebrewer from here can tell you. This is more what i was thinking, just to get my beers out there and see what the response was. In no way am i thinking commercial, but small micro or brewpub? Yes....

Thanks for the responses all :) i understand the advice based on your locations, but the good news for me is the region in canada i live in just made it legal to sell home made craft beers and wines at local market (farmers markets) with permission by the market owner and a certification obtained by the province. It is easily done as many a homebrewer from here can tell you. This is more what i was thinking, just to get my beers out there and see what the response was. In no way am i thinking commercial, but small micro or brewpub? Yes....

That's awesome - wish we had a law like that down here in the States.

Now that I think of it, I wonder what the Korean laws are about selling homebrew. Might be fun to load up a cooler and sell some at a street market.

British columbia is the province. Its a new law thats just passed and its got me interested. Ive got a ways to go still before i would make an attempt, as my 2 main recipes are still under construction, but thats exactly what i wanna try-do a run of nicely labeled bottles with a proven recipe inside and see what the feedback is. You dont know unless you try right?

In the mean time keep entering those beers into competitions and see what the judges say. It will help you improve those recipes faster than just trial and error. The educated judge should provide you some great feedback.

I am jealous of your laws. They seem so awesome from this perspective!

I think that as soon as you turn a hobby into a job, it would suck. Soon as you attach a paycheck to something it sucks. By trade I am a carpenter. Doing it as a job well let's say I get paid just enough to not quit and for that, I do just enough to not get fired.

I have read many many threads and books on starting/owning/operating a brewery. The one thing I found in common is that working/owning a brewery is just an over glorified janitor position.

I think at one time in our brewing lives, nearly all of us dreamed of going "big time". Don't let me discourage you, there are many that did make it. I'm just not willing to put out that much effort. Read how sam Adams got off the ground. He brewed, bottled and distributed his beer himself. Way too much hard work for me. I'll stick to enjoying my 5 gallon hobby.

Its an awesome concept! Actually im jealous of the amount of homebrew clubs and judged competitions those of you in the U.S. have access to, there is literally nothing within a 2 days drive from me as far as a competition. All i have are friends and family to do my judging, which is not the most accurate lol, who doesnt love free craft brewed beers? But i am a perfectionist and i know my beers have a long way to go, so i think being humble and getting out there when the time is right will be a fun and exciting chapter in my hombrewing career:)

And takuie, youre totally correct. Im in the same boat, working as a mechanic is far from my dream, but cleaning equipment and more cleaning equipment is far from glamorous also. I know we have all thought of doing this and there is probably a fantasy element to it, but i figure if i can sell enough beer on the side to pay for my time and ingredients, maybe it could turn in to something bigger down the road. Time will tell. Im shooting for next summer as my goal for being at the local market, under a tent with some nice looking bottles.

It's illegal. That being said i used to have a neighbor that brewed 40-50gal batches and sold to fraternities and marines nearby. No car, no house, no wife, no job - nothing to lose (except some freedom). I wouldn't want the risk, just not worth it for me.

But do I think about giving the job the heave-ho and starting a nano-brewery? All the time. I also "free worked" at one of the craft breweries here in San Diego and got a taste of doing it "for real". And quickly saw that brewing (and doing anything for work) is work, it's not nearly as fun as homebrewing. And incredibly backbreaking. They gladly started me milling 45-50 bags of grain, i barely could walk after that. Then cleaning the brewkettle, etc. It's hard work. But i still think about it : )

I have only volunteered at one place as an adult, and I loved it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have loved it if it was my job though. If you didn't like commercial brewing as a volunteer, I'll take that as serious evidence that it isn't that fun.

This is awesome. Good luck! I wish I could do that. It would pay for the hobby 10x over. In VA I can't even brew it in a licensed approved facility and then sell it in a small store front. I have a detached garage at my house that would make for a perfect small sized brewery. I asked the state if I could brew there and then have a small store front to sell it out of. They said no. It has to be brewed and either sold at the same address or sold to a distributor- which would require me to bottle everything by hand... Damn the man... always keeping us down.

Its an awesome concept! Actually im jealous of the amount of homebrew clubs and judged competitions those of you in the U.S. have access to, there is literally nothing within a 2 days drive from me as far as a competition. All i have are friends and family to do my judging, which is not the most accurate lol, who doesnt love free craft brewed beers? But i am a perfectionist and i know my beers have a long way to go, so i think being humble and getting out there when the time is right will be a fun and exciting chapter in my hombrewing career:)

I live 150 miles from a freeway- so I'm pretty sure I"m just as rural as you are (probably more so).

The way to enter competitions is not to drive there- but to send your beer to them. Here is the BJCP competition calendar: http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/competition_schedule.php

There are definitely more competitions in the US, but there are some in Australia, the UK, and Canada as well.

I drove 300 miles each way just to judge a competition (I am a certified BJCP judge). I recommend entering competitions because you get a complete score sheet from them, with tips on how to improve the beer if any off flavors are noted. It's one sure way to get non-biased feedback on your beer.

For me personally, I never once wanted to brew professionally. It's basically industrial cleaning with a lot of hard work thrown in the mix. I have friends who are pros, and they are the hardest working people I know. If you want to go on that path, that is wonderful but keep in mind that it's physically demanding and involves from very long days.

I appreciate all the feedback, there are many valid points being made here and believe me, I am taking them all into consideration. Ive heard brewing involves very hard work/long grueling days once you go bigger, this is why i think selling on a small scale at the market will be a good way to get my feet wet and get a good sense of whether or not its the path for me. I think we can all relate as brewers to the dream of seeing someone pay for your beer because they enjoy it so much.Yooper-i wasnt aware that you could send your beers in for judging? I would love to have a certified judge give me feedback on my beer! Its what i need, most people i know are happy as long as its fizzy and cold lol, not so good when youre trying to fine tune a recipe. Ill do some research on this, competitions are another goal of mine. Cheers :)

You can skirt around laws by setting up some taps in your basement, put up a "donation box," and provide beer for "free."

Might one day attract the attention of the authorities, but technically nothing illegal about that.

You can skirt around laws by setting up some taps in your basement, put up a "donation box," and provide beer for "free."

Might one day attract the attention of the authorities, but technically nothing illegal about that.

I'm not sure about the MN liquor laws, but in my state, technically everything would be illegal about that.

Can you give beer away to friends and let them donate to the cause if they wish? Not in your home, but say for instance a friend wants a keg for a party and he insists on paying for ingredients?

I'm also in Canada but I guess what you say is true only for BC, right?

Yeah im not sure about other provinces,but in bc theyve made it legal. Im going to have to look in to it further to get the details, but from all the literature ive read, craft brewers can apply to the market owner for permission and they can obtain their serving it right certification, which allows them the ability to provide free samples to those interested. In my town there is already one pico brewery that is taking full advantage of the new law and has a tent at the market every weekend.

Yeah im not sure about other provinces,but in bc theyve made it legal. Im going to have to look in to it further to get the details, but from all the literature ive read, craft brewers can apply to the market owner for permission and they can obtain their serving it right certification, which allows them the ability to provide free samples to those interested. In my town there is already one pico brewery that is taking full advantage of the new law and has a tent at the market every weekend.

I just read something that says you must have an on-site store...no homebrew, Ubrew or Uvin is permitted. I read that into you must actually have a real business storefront to participate.

Sadly, that's not exactly the case. I'm also in BC.
To sell at the farmers markets, you still need the liquor license. In BC to get that, you still need to have a facility (with all it's permits and approvals from the province) leased for a minimum of 12 months. Essentially, you have to be a fully operational and licensed brewery before you can sell it there.
I had also got my hopes up when I had heard that news, sorry.

Can you give beer away to friends and let them donate to the cause if they wish? Not in your home, but say for instance a friend wants a keg for a party and he insists on paying for ingredients?

It depends on your state/provincial laws. But I don't think the local authorities would come knocking on your door unless you were trying to get compensation or open up your service to the general public.

Really? Its somewhat confusing in the way its worded, do you have any links to the articles you found this out from by chance? Id like to find out so i can start researching. I know the brewery that sells here already is located on personal property at a place of residence, as mine also is, a seperate building from my home. Since ive owned the home for 4 years wouldnt that cover the location lease of 12 months if i were to decide i wanted to apply for a license?

Give him the keg for free, but charge him for your help planning the party.

http://www.cvrd.bc.ca/DocumentCenter/View/63794

I've spoken with several breweries in the area, and as far as any of us know that seems to be the case.
The brewery that sells there may be on privately owned property, but I'm willing to bet he got that section zoned for that or went through a pile of paperwork to be able to license the secondary building.
The licensing is a bit trickier than just the 12 month lease aspect, but owning it is a step in the right direction.

I hope I'm completely wrong on this! I wish you all the luck!
Please let me know if I'm wrong, that'd be the best news! Hahaha

Ill pursue this one dont you worry haha, ill got talk with the brewer this weekend if i can and see what legalities are involved and how he does it. The impression i got from people ive talked with is that it was available to anyone, maybe not the case tho. Ill get to the bottom of this lol......

Sounds good, I look forward to hearing what you find.
Give me a shout if you ever find yourself in Vancouver, perhaps trade some pints!
:tank:

I'm not sure about the MN liquor laws, but in my state, technically everything would be illegal about that.

That's how Dean's Scene in Portland, OR operated for a long time....before it got shut down by the OLCC. But I guess it's back now.

Yeah, I doubt the operation in MN would last long once the authorities caught wind. But hey, laws were meant to be pushed, right? What happened to the free market. ;)

In Pa. you cannot even sell them a cup to put your "free beer" into and I'm pretty sure you cannot accept donations either.
We wanted to have a homebrew contest at our OKTOBERFEST - this is how I know.....

I practice law in MN, and can tell you that a "freewill donation" workaround will not make it legal. The authorities will see through that like glass. "For sale" is basically construed as "receiving anything of value as consideration." Whether or not there is a set price is irrelevant.

For those of you in B.C., you are fortunate to have such forward-looking legislators who created this niche. In my state, we can't even get a bill to allow alcohol sales on Sunday, though they recently passed a provision allowing Sunday growler sales.

Some quotes from this thread...

And quickly saw that brewing (and doing anything for work) is work, it's not nearly as fun as homebrewing.
True, but in my case the motivating factor isn't even necessarily driven by the money end of it. Sure, that's rewarding and you NEED it of course to keep the brewery and yourself going (see subsequent quotes) but the sheer joy of seeing other people enjoy your beer enough to PAY for it and in fact come back again and again is very rewarding, at least to me.

I have read many many threads and books on starting/owning/operating a brewery. The one thing I found in common is that working/owning a brewery is just an over glorified janitor position.
Absolutely true. So true in fact that we LITERALLY say this to our applicants who apply for positions in the brewery. You WILL BE doing essentially janitor work with occasional interruptions to make some beer. But truly, those interruptions are seldom and short-lived because there's cleaning to be done. SO MUCH CLEANING!

to brew professionally. It's basically industrial cleaning with a lot of hard work thrown in the mix. I have friends who are pros, and they are the hardest working people I know. If you want to go on that path, that is wonderful but keep in mind that it's physically demanding and involves from very long days.
Oh ya. When we were first learning our system, our brew days were somewhere in the zone of 15 to 16 hours long. And then we had to come back the next day for cleaning. We've improved and gotten brew days down to around 10 hours but they are still looong days.

We run a 10 bbl system and that means hundreds and hundreds of pounds of spent grains at the end of the mash need to be manually cleaned out and carted out to the bins for the rancher to load off to his cattle. And that's relatively early in the brew day...

As for the red tape etc... It's there. but there IS a way around it. You just have to wade in and start cutting. Keep moving forward and communicate, communicate, communicate. Know PRECISELY what you want to do with your brewing operation and then read up about other folks who have done something similar and succeeded. Then get ahold of those people and start asking questions. Then comes the hard part. Listen to them. Listen when they say "This is a bad idea. I'd do THIS instead."

I would do SO many things differently if I were starting again. My brewery footprint is for crap, I don't have a loading bay, my floors don't drain well because I tried to save some money... All things people told me I should try to avoid but I figured I could overcome them and save myself some startup money along the way. Now I'm saddled with 3 times the work and an eternally wet and messy floor that I have to pay somebody to constantly wash and clean or I have to do it myself three times a day. And I'm just getting started!

But don't get me wrong. I'm not discouraging you at all. I'm LOVING life right now. The brewery is doing well, people like the products and I have specific goals and processes for how to improve our beers AND our brewhaus.

As for your situation and retailing home-brew - I actually initially wanted to purchase a space and put local HOMEBREW on tap. What I wanted to do was basically consign taps and brewhaus space to local brewers so they could make beer and sell it in the taproom and I'd take a percentage. Ultimately that was unrealistic. However I still think it's a really cool idea if somebody could get enough brewers together who were passionate enough and reliable enough to consistently produce beer.

Course after that you'd have to go through ALL the process of getting a licensed brewery, then you'd have to register all the home-brew beers with your state and fed government (ABV, IBU and Style) and your brewers would have meet those numbers consistently. You'd have to hire and train servers, you'd have to train the brewers to follow consistent cleaning and sanitation practices in the brewhaus and they'd have to learn to play nicely together. But how cool would it be to have a co-op of say 20 or so brewers who all put 10 or 15 gallons of beer on tap each month for consignment.

Anyway, that was INITIALLY my idea. That eventually morphed into the full-blown brewery that is Muddy Creek.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. Just found this thread interesting. Carry on.

Not legally. In some states, you can't even take "home"brew out of your home for your OWN use let alone give it away. You can't take homebrew out of the home in which it was legally brewed to take to your cottage or your campsite, for example, in those areas. In some states, you can give a limited amount away legally, but if you barter or trade for it, or receive cash for it, then it is not considered a gift and that would make it illegal.

In Michigan, you used to be able to give away 1 6-pack per year to an individual, but now it is raised to 20 gallons per year that you can give away.

Each state sets their own laws, and they vary wildly. But barter for homebrew is illegal in all of them.

Give him the keg for free, but charge him for your help planning the party.

Let's stop talking about ways to skirt the laws, as this forum won't condone illegal activity or ways around the laws. I would encourage everyone to join that AHA and work to change the laws that they don't agree with, but let's get back to the topic discussed here, which is legal means in the OP's province to sell his beer. Thanks!

But hey, laws were meant to be pushed, right? What happened to the free market. ;)

The free market is alive and well. If it weren't then BMC would have squashed all these nice craft brewers long ago.

It's no free market when you give a competitive advantage (no licensing fees or taxes collected) to a guy selling homebrew out of his basement.

Every one gets permitted. Everyone gets licensed. Everyone pays taxes. Let your product stand on its merits. There's your free market.

Back