Selling a website to LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaman

Reaction score
I've been mulling this over in my head for a while now, here in San Antonio there are now two lhbs, each lacking in their own way. The new guy is, well new and doesn't really have a full stock yet...the old guy has been around for a while and always has a pretty good stock, there are two main things he is missing(in my opinion). 1) Store cleanliness... 2) A website

I've done quite a few websites for different peoples and companies in the last 10 years, and I really wanna approach this guy to get a website setup for him; just something basic for people to be able to find him, maybe get some of his recipes, maybe see what he has in stock. I'm really just not sure how to approach him about it. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would want to have to do anything extra out of his way(lazy?), but I'm positive at least a simple website could help him out a lot. I'm starting to think I should just create a simple site on a free server, then go up there one day and talk it out over a beer or two.

Anyone ever done anything like this before? Have any ideas or suggestions for me? Should I just leave him alone?

I did this with my LHBS. We worked out a trade; homebrew supplies for website. Very good trade all around, and everyone came away happy! Barter FTW!

You would want to find out if he has any inventory software that has information in usable format. Daily data transfers to the web "store" would possibly be enough to start out with. Having no site would be better than having a site that is obviously uncared for and out of date.

I'm starting to think I should just create a simple site on a free server, then go up there one day and talk it out over a beer or two.

Approach him with the idea as a sales pitch along with a portfolio of the projects you've done in the past. Just making something and showing him seems slightly creepy/fanboy to me.

1) Store cleanliness

I don't care how awesome his website is... I wouldn't buy anything that is a "food product" from a vendor if this was my number one concern. :eek:

BTW, if you need some help with data conversion or inventory migration just PM me. I interface with different databases, DBMS's, and schemas daily as part of my job. DTS packages, SSIS, batch jobs, automated FTP transfers, whatever...I do that!

If you really want a great free eCommerce solution check out Magento. I've been fooling around with it and it has some great features. Nice inventory management tools for the store owner, easy to customize, and there are tons of pre-built templates out there for a unique and polished look.

BTW, if you need some help with data conversion or inventory migration just PM me. I interface with different databases, DBMS's, and schemas daily as part of my job. DTS packages, SSIS, batch jobs, automated FTP transfers, whatever...I do that!

It's funny, the first thing I thought about was database and inventory/POS management as well. Chances are stocking notes are kept on the backs of napkins and it is in "inventory" if it is on the shelf. I find most "older" small businesses tend to run that way.

:cross:

Yeh, I saw this show on hgtv once where they go in and completely revamp businesses...can't think of the name but this guy needs it. His store isn't a complete mess, it is somewhat organized, but it looks like he just kinda never finished unpacking...I'm sure my wife could have a field day organizing and cleaning the place out while I created his online storefront..

As far as what he has for inventory management, I'm almost positive it's all in his head. The only piece of technology he uses for POS is an ancient looking cash register and an old dial up credit card swiper. No computer anywhere, although the last time I was in there he did have an unplugged keyboard sitting on top of the counter, which would suggest that he at least owns a computer, or knows someone who does.

I think I'll go with what mmb suggested and create a portfolio of my previous work. Just have it handy the next time I'm in there buying stuff and having a beer..

Back