sell me your wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, just make your own. It's worth the experience and it's cheaper than buying one. Plus, you can make it custom for you application, whether that be flow rate, faucet fittings, cooling line length, coil diameter, etc...

Dude, just make your own. It's worth the experience and it's cheaper than buying one. Plus, you can make it custom for you application, whether that be flow rate, faucet fittings, cooling line length, coil diameter, etc...

Not everyone wants or "needs" the "experience". What value is the the experience of coiling copper line going to provide to my daily life? Even my out of the ordinary life? If someone wants to buy something, let them.

jd3 said:
Not everyone wants or "needs" the "experience". What value is the the experience of coiling copper line going to provide to my daily life? Even my out of the ordinary life? If someone wants to buy something, let them.

Its called being good at stuff. I learn skills all the time that end up translating to totally different activities.

I just bought a motorcycle for dirt cheap today, rebuilt the carbs, and made all the gaskets by hand. I know what you are saying, and it is easier to simply buy a wort chiller or pay someone to fix a bike for you, but hands-on experience is priceless.

Its called being good at stuff. I learn skills all the time that end up translating to totally different activities.

So coiling copper hose is going to turn in to..... ? Coiling garden hose?

I don't get it. I've got a boat load of skills that I am sure no one here has, nor do they have any use for them.

If someone has money to just buy things, maybe they already have a whole set of skills that pays for their ability to buy things.

Maybe some people work plenty, have a family, and don't have time to DIY every last thing.

If a guy asks to buy a wort chiller, he's prob seen the 3 dozen threads on how to build one, as well as the 97 youtube videos and 1,032 google search results that show you how. Maybe he just wants to buy it.

Why is it that every time someone posts a want to buy or interest in buying something that could hypothetically be diy'd, some tool has to walk in and tell them to just make it. NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO DIY EVERY THING. Seriously.

It is as if you think that building your own wort chiller is going to change some level of masculinity and make you more of a man. There is a reason we evolved from cavemen. We're smarter now. Working harder is not the same as working smarter.

Someone just sell the man a wort chiller and be done with it.

But I don't want to sell mine :(. And what I would be asking for a price, would include labor. So it would still be cheaper to build one than to buy one from me.

But I don't want to sell mine :(. And what I would be asking for a price, would include labor. So it would still be cheaper to build one than to buy one from me.

I'm not going to sell mine either - i still chill my wort.

Looking at copper prices at the big box stores. I think it's cheaper to buy one then build one. When I made mine it was the other way around. I think I could sell it at scrap price and make money.

You have a good point but you could just purchase beer from a store instead of making your own. DIY wort chillier is in the spirit of the hobby.

I'll sell you mine. $125 + shipping for a .5 in 50ft chiller with male and female hose fittings.

So coiling copper hose is going to turn in to..... ? Coiling garden hose?

I don't get it. I've got a boat load of skills that I am sure no one here has, nor do they have any use for them.

If someone has money to just buy things, maybe they already have a whole set of skills that pays for their ability to buy things.

Maybe some people work plenty, have a family, and don't have time to DIY every last thing.

If a guy asks to buy a wort chiller, he's prob seen the 3 dozen threads on how to build one, as well as the 97 youtube videos and 1,032 google search results that show you how. Maybe he just wants to buy it.

Why is it that every time someone posts a want to buy or interest in buying something that could hypothetically be diy'd, some tool has to walk in and tell them to just make it. NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO DIY EVERY THING. Seriously.

It is as if you think that building your own wort chiller is going to change some level of masculinity and make you more of a man. There is a reason we evolved from cavemen. We're smarter now. Working harder is not the same as working smarter.

Wow, no need to be so harsh. Who are you to say that the OP has %100 skill in everything that can be DIY. I guess what I am getting at, OP, is why can't you build your own. I can understand if you lost your arms in some freak accident, and if so, I bow to you for still brewing beer. A wort chiller is a very, VERY basic tool for brewing beer. I can almost understand buying a professionally-made one, but buying one from these forums, you are bound to get one that is home-made and has been discarded by a fellow brewer, who made a better one. What I was ultimately getting at with my original post, was to do some research, make your own to your own needs, and learn something. You can't always have the "walmart" of homebrew supplies, where you can simply buy some cheap thing that may not be exactly what you want, but is china-built and gets you by.

I'll sell you mine. $125 + shipping for a .5 in 50ft chiller with male and female hose fittings.

I'll bet it's 3/8" tube. I built the same thing. If I remember right it cost me around $40 to build 5 years ago. I added the hose fittings this year and don't remember the cost of those. $5.00 each? Plus 4 90° fittings @ $2.00 each plus 5' of new copper tube $12.00?. I don't know that I could build it again for $125 so it sounds like a fair price.

Jd3 you need to brew up some Acme ActRight for your next session you've got serious rant issues dude

Ok so Iv read many posts on making one and watched tons of vids too, but right now the price of copper is through the roof! At the big stores you can only get 20ft or 50ft of copper and 20 will set you back $50 and 50 $75, add fittings and hose and you are over $100 easy for 1/2" if you look on eBay you can buy 3/8 25ft ready to use for $55 shipped. I am a DIY'er all the way but right now it is cheaper to buy one than make one.

iaefebs said:
I'll bet it's 3/8" tube. I built the same thing. If I remember right it cost me around $40 to build 5 years ago. I added the hose fittings this year and don't remember the cost of those. $5.00 each? Plus 4 90° fittings @ $2.00 each plus 5' of new copper tube $12.00?. I don't know that I could build it again for $125 so it sounds like a fair price.

I'll bet it's .5 in. I know because I made it

Back