self question and answer for foamy beer in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joonsmom

Reaction score
I bought a old Kenmore kegerator from Craigslist at $150 and converted it for using a regular soda keg(replacing shankey coupler with a ball lock quick disconnect.) Everything was properly hooked up and I put 30psi for 2 days for carbonating my batch(American Larger). In 2 days, I tried a glass of beer(10psi, releasing gas in the keg, of course) but nothing but foam was coming out. 90% foam and 10% beer. Damn....

I waited for another day at 10psi and tried.
Damn... the same thing, nothing but foam.

I checked everything (leaking especially from the dip tube to the faucet)
Fine..

I changed the beer tube with brand new 5' long 3/16" inner diameter tube($.70 per foot)

I changed the poppit in the gas side post with a brand new ($3.99)

I installed about 1.5' 1/2" inner diameter copper pipe($6.99) in the tower to have the area chilled.

I changed the beer tube with brand new 10' long 3/16" inner diameter tube.
Holla!!!! PERFECT BEER from the faucet.

I do not know anything about beer physics but if you guys have the same problem with mine, just HAVE a LONGER TUBE at about 10 feet. Foamy problem will be gone....

Thanks

I think you overcarbonated to start. A longer tube would fix this, I think.

I tend to just put the beer at the serving pressure, leave it a week, and it is just fine.

Back