Self priming anti-gravity pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalchef1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got an email today from Northern Brewer for their new self priming pump..
They say 140f, 5 foot start, 1gpm and can raise liquids up to 150 ft vertically....

I bought one...ill have it next week.

Hopefully it lasts.

Reviews to come later.

I certainly will.... Self priming....no need to worry about position or location? This lazy man's dream.

So many carboys and buckets and just transferring star san and pbw from one to the other for cleaning should now be infinitely easier..

Pump arrived last night after I was already asleep. If I don't get stuck sleeping out on the road I'll be testing it tonight.

So... There were no instructions in the box but if you look at the pump there is a red arrow above the "northern brewer".. I assumed that was the in side and it was.
The tubing slips over the flare and then you screw the black caps on.
It comes filled with some form of liquid... No idea what... Feels like very thin glycerin..
It says 1 gpm but I didn't time it.
Not too loud, better than I expected but it is a very small pump.
All plastic construction but it seems sturdy.
For the in tube I used an old non spring bottle filler and busted the black bottom off.
Has a switch in line which is nice.
The rubber feet have holes for mounting.
So far? I love it... It will save a lot of time and lifting using an auto siphon and hoisting up carboys filled with pbw or star san.
No idea how long it will last but I thought I saw claims of 30000 hours? I may be just remembering something else.

$50...so far I think it's worth every penny..
20180906_145956.jpeg
20180906_150004.jpeg
20180906_150017.jpeg
20180906_150023.jpeg
20180906_150529.jpeg
20180906_150547.jpeg

I have to wonder how much more expensive it would have been to make this good up to 160F so you could at least recirculate with it.

I'd like to say I can't imagine too much more, but then why wouldn't they just do it. The self-priming pumps that can do high temperatures aren't even used for Brewing they're like laboratory Style and they cost hundreds of dollars. I do have a non self-priming that cost me about 20 bucks from Amazon. If you look up the little brown pump it goes up to 240 they claim but it's not self-priming, but that one's mostly plastic as well. Like I said I like the pump. I am just surprised that it's not high temp, since it's made by Budweiser

Diaphragm pumps are rarely rated for hot liquids. It must be difficult to find flexible material that can stand up to high heat for long - especially if it's intended for "food grade" use...

Cheers!

It looks just like the pump i got on amazon for $16. I had to wire a dc adapter to it, but thats easy. I use it for my home made quick carb rig and its a champ.

bayite 12V DC Fresh Water Pressure Diaphragm Pump with Hose Clamps Self Priming Sprayer Pump with Pressure Switch 4 L/Min 1.0 GPM 80 PSI for RV Camper Marine Boat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N75ZIXF/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I missed that. That's ridiculous. I've been searching for a long time and I just never came across that. I completely remove my endorsement for the Northern Brewer one

Other than the fact that yours looks like it has metal on it, they look identical. I now feel cheated by you inbev once again

Well at least I got the test out a new product. I just can't believe in all my searching I never came across that. And that's cheaper than the little brown pump which isn't self priming

I'm driving right now so I can't look up the specs. I also can't wait to find out later. What's the temperature rating on those?

Thanks for sharing the link @jaymosbeershack! I am looking at it now and I cannot find anything about it being food grade safe. There are some customer responses and feedback that says it is not a food grade pump, but nothing in the details. That is something that I would be curious to know more about.

When i bought it, the listing said freshwater pump, so i may have assumed it was food grade. May have to look deeper into it to be sure.

Back