Self brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
A mate and I visited a place called The Brew Shed near Cambeltown NSW.

You book in and they arrange a suitable date. The system is first choose a style of beer, Cider or Ginger ale. You are given a recipe and you are assigned a brewing kettle and a timer. You gather the ingrediants and add them to the brewing kettle as indicated by time. Once all the ingrediants are added you have finished and then just sample as many styles as you wish. Depending on the type you come back 2 weeks later to bottle chilled filtered carbonated beer.

There is sanitising equipment for your bottles or those that they supply. Each batch is 50 litres and works out about half the cost of commercal beers.

The beer I sampled was excellent and really good. One good thing that if one had a party they would put the brew in 3 kegs and supply a chilling container for hire for a weekend.

Cost was $140 to $160 depending on style keg hire $60 all aud.

If I had to come up with a lot of beer say for an event I would certainly consider it as it would be ready from go to woe in 2 weeks and the beer is as good as any that is available on tap.

Me I will stick to my method

Brew - Bottle - Drink

We call these "brew your own shops" up here. It's a way for people to try brewing without buying any equipment or as you pointed out, make a lot of beer in a short time. I know a homebrewer who made ten batches for his wedding. Cheaper than buying ten carboys and takes up less space in the condo.

That is actually how I got started. I don't know if I just had a really good experience, but the guy helping me was a homebrewer and really explained stuff. I was initially really intimidated, but felt great after the fact. The place I went to also sells ingredients and recipes for homebrewing so I have been buying their kits ever since.

Great introduction to brewing if you ask me.

Just my $.02

We too have one about 70 miles away. They are really reasonable though. $56 for 5 gallons, then you have to buy the bottles and caps. They really do a pretty good job of getting people to go AG with it, as you can either use the really Hi-Tec setup, or they'll let you use a cooler for a mash tun. Gives people a chance to use something like what they might have at home.

Back