Seeking advice on extract pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbear219

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got the Pumpkin Ale kit from AHS. I meant to order the partial mash kit but I must have messed up because it came yesterday and I accidentally ordered the extract kit.

I have some canned pumpkin that I was going to mash with my grains, but since I'm going to be doing extract instead now, I need some advice.

I am going to bake the pumpkin on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes first, but after that should I steep it with my grains...or add it to the end of my boil?

Advice welcome :)

I just brewed some a couple weeks ago so I'm not sure how it tastes yet but I steeped mine with the grains per boil.

The AHS site also says to add it in with the grains during mashing. I think I am going to give it a shot that way. Adding it to the boil sounds like it could get a lot messier.

I added the canned pumpkin to the boil for my extract batch. If you go this route you will have alot of trub. Ive seen people report on trying to steep with a paint bag, but usually having alot of the pumpkin ooze out of the strainer.

My next batch (assuming I still do extract next time) will involve cutting up fresh pummpkin and steeping the slices before steeping my grains.

Hello, this is my first post and I just did my second extract batch which is the Midwest pumpkin ale. So i don't have much to add, but I'd like to share my experience. I cut a sugar pumpkin and a butternut squash in quarters and roasted them on a cookie sheet for 1 hour @ 400. I then cooled them and did a rough pull apart which I then added to a bag for the whole 60 min. A small amount escaped the bag but the sample tasted great. Without the help of the search And other posters i'd be a nervous wreck. Thanks.

Using canned pumpkin in the boil is going to give you trub, no real way around it. I have a wine bucket for batches like this to hold the extra trub. You could reduce the amount of pumpkin because the real flavor comes from the spices.

Back