Seeking Advice on Corny Kegs For Sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
There's 6 corny kegs for sale local to me.

All kegs have new seals and universal poppets.
Have been used and pressure tested.

They are previous soda kegs (typical) and were used by the seller for home brew.

He's asking $45 each OBO.

Any advice on what I should offer, look for, etc?

Thanks.

I'd ask for pics, but that's a pretty good deal. Are they ball lock or pin lock? That may make a difference and will also alter if it is an ok deal or a great deal.

Nope. Tell the seller that you're willing to pay the $45/per and pick them up immediately. Seriously.

Most places it's really hard to find cornies for less than $50 a pop, and in many cases it's $55-$65 each.

Gulp.... I just offered $210 for all 6. He did state OBO. I'll counter when he replies (email).

Gulp.... I just offered $210 for all 6. He did state OBO. I'll counter when he replies (email).

Make sure they hold pressure- but even if they don't, it's probably ok unless the kegs are warped or something. I have one that won't hold pressure, because the part around the lid is warped, like it froze with liquid in it at one time. Otherwise, if they hold pressure you're all set!

$210 is reasonable, although low. He may sell them to someone else, but you may get them for that.

hi, where are they located and can you give up the ad? haha
kidding of course, gift horse....mouth.... you know. Smoking deal

Don't tell me where they are or I'll offer more!! JK. THat's a fantastic price even if you have to refurb. In the FWIW category, my LHBS is having a Christmas sale -- new ball locks for $80. I'm tempted even at that price!

Dang, hope he takes the offer! Either way, if he counters I'm sure we'll have s deal. He said he could meet me to pick them up if I get them. He's "local" but not really that close. Would make sense.

If so, how would I know if they do in fact hold pressure?

From what he said in his email, they probably are good.

"They are your typical used kegs that used to be used for soda distribution. I purchased them and have used them for homebrewing. Everything is sturdy and serviceable."

Sounds like they are suitable. If he didn't, wouldn't be bad to replace orings, etc. Good luck!

As others have said, $45 each is a pretty good price. If he's willing to sell them at that price, there's a good chance he'll give you a discount for buying all of them. Good luck man.

I'm good on kegs for several months now, but at the time, $45 would be a very good deal around here.

I bet he counters, but hopefully you scored a great deal!

I actually remember buying my first cornies from Adventures in Homebrewing for $13 back in like 2005

And I got them for $15 in about 2007, and then suddenly $25 a year later.

Once they started making fountain soda in the "bag" style, there was a glut of soda kegs on the market, and then that secondary market sort of dried up and they quickly went to $50 a piece.

Not to hijack, but if anyone in MI is looking, teds shed in Traverse city has a trailer full of random kegs for $10 each. I'm sure they'd need new seals and some lovin, but come on...$10. Last I knew there were 1/4 and 1/2 bbl sankey as well as 5 gal cornies. They had an ad on CL

Not to hijack, but if anyone in MI is looking, teds shed in Traverse city has a trailer full of random kegs for $10 each. I'm sure they'd need new seals and some lovin, but come on...$10. Last I knew there were 1/4 and 1/2 bbl sankey as well as 5 gal cornies. They had an ad on CL

Wow, that's awesome!

I'd love to see what they look like.

I think my wife paid about $10 each for the very first pair of kegs she bought me back in about 2004-ish. Most of the used ones I've seen lately have been $50 and up. The good news is prices on brand new kegs have come down quite a bit. I recently got some on sale from Adventures in Homebrewing for $70 each, which isn't too far off from used keg prices around here.

And I got them for $15 in about 2007, and then suddenly $25 a year later.

Once they started making fountain soda in the "bag" style, there was a glut of soda kegs on the market, and then that secondary market sort of dried up and they quickly went to $50 a piece.

Homebrewing stuff in general. Glass carboys were like $20 back then.

Says only 1/4 barrels left and would be good for tables, etc. Hmm..

Back