Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrew

Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with drinking the last few beers in the key with a lot of sediment. I am getting down to it and the beer is very thick with it. I filtered out the hops when kegging it but it seems pretty thick. What do you guys do?

Not that I can see. If it tastes good, drink it.

I don't keg (yet), but I was under the impression the first beers were more sediment filled, but I guess that depends on your process, if you crash cool before transferring to keg, temp of the keg, length of time in the keg, etc.

Generally I don't get any sediment except with the first glass or 2 then the last part of the last glass. Because you are always drawing anything that settles out of your beer off the bottom with each glass, your beer should always get clearer and clearer as you draw down the keg. I'm not sure why you are getting sediment in the last few glasses because again, I never get any until the volume falls to the level of the diptube then you get the sad combo of yeast and sputtering gas representing another keg killed:(.

It does get clearer as the beer settles in the keg, but the last couple of heavy hop beers I have had, the sediment towards the end is significant. Probably the last 3 or 4 pints are heavy sediment beers. I drank one tonight and it tasted fine, just was wondering if all the extra hops and maybe yeast would mess up my bowels. I bottled the last one to see if the sediment

The last few beers of my last two heavy hop beers have had a lot of sediment in them. The longer the beer seems to set, the more sediment collects at the bottom while it all falls out. I do not quite understand that cold crashing method and what it is meant to do, if someone could explain that and if it would help with sediment I would appreciate a quick lesson.

Back