Quantcast

sediment?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

revrand65

Reaction score
Ok here's my question..i'd been brewing kits that had the hops allready in the extract..the kit i brewed last night i had to add bittering hop pellets during the boil and finishing hops at the end...will this sediment settle out with the dead yeast cells on the bottom...thanks.

Exo

Reaction score
They settle. My last batch called for 3oz of hops during the boil and another 1oz for a dry hop. Most of the hops that got transferred settled out and the dry-hopping settled as well. Just use caution when racking.

Evets

Reaction score
I use a large wire-mesh strainer when filling my primary and catch almost all the hops. Is this OK or should I leave them in the primary for some reason?

EdWort

Reaction score
I use a strainer too. I just picked up the adjustable stainless steel colander at Target for $14. I now don't need anyone to hold it for me.

Strainer.jpg

joker_x

Reaction score
If you're worried about the hop sediment, you can always buy a nylon hop/grain bag from your LHBS, which just acts like a big tea bag, and then when you're done with the hops, squeeze out all the wort from the bag (like you would with tea) by wrapping it around a large metal spoon or with a silicone oven mit, then if you pour through a sieve and/or cheesecloth to try to trap solid particles, things will go faster since there won't be as much to catch. I find avoiding having solid particles from the wort in the primary fermenter only improves the beer.

Cheers!
-Rick

Primary: Honey Amber Ale
Secondary #1: Octane IPA
Secondary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled/Drinking: American Amber Ale