Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbusbrewing

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I’m on my second brew ever and I just pitched yeast in the primary fermenter about an hour ago. I realized shortly after that I forgot to strain out sediment before I put it into the primary, and it already looks like there’s a thick layer of sediment building (about a third of the fermenter looks like sediment)

My question is, should I move it to a different fermenter, strain it, and pitch new yeast? Or should I let it go and let it settle to the bottom?

For what it’s worth, I’m making a 5 gallon batch of all grains, brew in a bag double IPA. OG is 1.08

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 82C6ACC5-92F7-48AD-97FB-9C25D84B8170.jpeg
    82C6ACC5-92F7-48AD-97FB-9C25D84B8170.jpeg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 218
Not normally an issue. However, that looks a rather large amount of trub. How much irish moss/whirlfloc did you use? Also, I don't think you got close to 5 gallons unless you topped off after this picture? Either it is the picture that makes it looks like less than 4 gallons or an obscurely large carboy and I can't tell...

Either way, let it ride. Just rack off of it when you package...

It’s a 6 and 1/2 gallon carboy. I was going to do primary here and then move to secondary/add dry hops in about 2 weeks.

I have a fermenter bucket that came with a norther brewer starter kit, and I measured it to just about the 5 gallon mark before transferring it here. But you’re right, it looks closer to 4 gallons.

I didn’t use any Irish moss. I used a recipe that I found on beer and brewing.com - I’ll attach the link.

When I got the grains, I had them run it through the mill twice because I read somewhere that it would help extract more sugars from the grains when you do BIAB

MALT/GRAIN BILL
12 lb (5.4 kg) base malt - I used golden promise
1 lb 13 oz (467 g) Vienna malt - I used avangard
12 oz (340 g) Dextrin malt - I used carapils
8 oz (227 g) Dextrose (corn sugar) - added with 5 minutes left in the boil

HOPS SCHEDULE
1 oz (28 g) CTZ [15.5% AA] at 90 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Chinook [12.7% AA] at 30 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Cenntenial [9% AA] at 15 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Simcoe [11.2% AA] at 15 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Citra [12.8% AA] at 0 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Centennial [9% AA] at 0 minutes
3 oz (85 g) Citra at dry hop
3 oz (85 g) Centennial at dry hop

YEAST
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) or Wyeast 1056 (American Ale)

https://beerandbrewing.com/amp/dead-president-double-ipa-recipe/

Hey Everyone,

I’m on my second brew ever and I just pitched yeast in the primary fermenter about an hour ago. I realized shortly after that I forgot to strain out sediment before I put it into the primary, and it already looks like there’s a thick layer of sediment building (about a third of the fermenter looks like sediment)

My question is, should I move it to a different fermenter, strain it, and pitch new yeast? Or should I let it go and let it settle to the bottom?

For what it’s worth, I’m making a 5 gallon batch of all grains, brew in a bag double IPA. OG is 1.08

Thanks in advance

Put a blanket over it so you can't see it and in a couple weeks it will have solved itself. That's just break material mixed with wort and it is primarily wort. When the ferment is happening it will get stirred up. When the ferment is done it will settle out to a layer that will probably be half an inch thick.

Put a blanket over it so you can't see it and in a couple weeks it will have solved itself. That's just break material mixed with wort and it is primarily wort. When the ferment is happening it will get stirred up. When the ferment is done it will settle out to a layer that will probably be half an inch thick.

Thank you! I was a little nervous that I had ruined the beer haha. I’m only 2 weeks away from cracking open a beer from my first batch so that should take my mind off of it!

Thanks again!

Did you take a gravity reading? If you are making a 5 gallon batch and only have 4 gallons, you might want to add water if your Original Gravity it too high.

Yep! I had to mix in some water to lower the gravity (I did that before putting it into the fermenter).

After that, My gravity is 1.08 (the recipe called for 1.077).

RM-MN was right, a lot of it has already settled to the bottom, and I’m starting to see airlock activity. I’m attaching a picture of what it looks like now

Attachments

• 70B7E171-6CC7-42E0-9C33-4E3E58DA8657.jpeg
    70B7E171-6CC7-42E0-9C33-4E3E58DA8657.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
I haven't brewed all-grain yet but I have been reading a lot about it. Maybe some of that matter is from double crushing the grains, and all of that fine powder obviously got thru your bag and into the brew. What I can tell you is to never give up too soon, I almost threw out my last batch halfway thru primary (temp control issues) but I saved it and now there's only about 10 bottles left lol.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I’ve left it alone and kept a box over it for the last few days. I checked the gravity last night and It’s at 1.01, which comes to 9.19% abv already! (OG was 1.08)

I’m going to add dry hops tomorow and then rack it to the secondary fermenter next week. And I’m definitely going to harvest the yeast.

Attachments

• 58ACAEA3-9B37-44C5-A7B7-4D3BF26432F9.jpeg
    58ACAEA3-9B37-44C5-A7B7-4D3BF26432F9.jpeg
    958 KB · Views: 95
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I’ve left it alone and kept a box over it for the last few days. I checked the gravity last night and It’s at 1.01, which comes to 9.19% abv already! (OG was 1.08)

I’m going to add dry hops tomorow and then rack it to the secondary fermenter next week. And I’m definitely going to harvest the yeast.

I'd suggest you leave this beer another week before dry hopping as the ferment will have been slower with that much alcohol and you want it to have completed before you dry hop. That time will let the trub settle more and compact better. Forget the secondary, it won't help the beer and will give it a chance to become oxidized and opens the possibility for infection. You can harvest the yeast anyway but it might not be as healthy as original since it has had to survive over 9% alcohol.

I’d not harvest this yeast either...high ABV beer...lots of trub in fermentor...lots of dry hop...

Also it’s dry yeast...inexpensive and convenient to keep on hand. I will harvest dry yeast from moderate gravity beer if going to be able to use it right away but would not in this case.

Also check the volume marks on your bucket. They are often off but usually not by too much. It looks like there may be about 4 gallons in your fermenter. When did you measure with the bucket? Before or after the boil. If before that is why it is low, from boil off. That would also explain the higher gravity.

You might want to look into using a spider to contain hop debris in a beer with a lot of hops. I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag clipped to the lip of my kettle. Hops go into the bag at the appropriate time. I get less than 1/2 inch trub in my fermenter. I pour all but the very thickest gunk in.

Back