Sediment in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenDawg19

Reaction score
I brewed a coffee milk/sweet stout and used corn sugar for priming. It has been one week since bottling and there is some sediment at the bottom of all the Grolsch swing top bottles I used. Would it be bad to 'stir' them up a bit by gently shaking them? How would this effect the carbonation?

I can't imagine any good reason for stirring up the sediment. In most cases (exception would maybe be a hefeweizen or wit), that is the last thing you want to do. Sediment at the bottom of a bottle-conditioned beer is exactly what you want to see. You're supposed to leave that behind with the last few mL of beer so it does nto end up in your glass

Won't effect your carbonation. Let them sit at least another week or two before checking one for carbonation. That sediment is not sugar, the sugar should have been dissolved before adding it to your bottling bucket. The sediment should settle to the bottom and then you try to keep it there when you pour into a glass, so you have a nice clear final product.

:mug:

IMHO, it wouldn't hurt at all to swirl them a bit. Depending on where you're conditioning your beers, they may not carb up in those three weeks everyone talks about. I almost always give my beers a quick swirl a few days after bottling to ensure that the yeast stay suspended and active to carb up the beer. Cleveland basements are pretty cool (low 60s) and I haven't had a batch carb slowly yet after doing this. Just my two cents...

I'm still new to bottling, but I was thinking that if all the yeasties were at the bottom that it would take longer to carbonate. My FES and IIPA I turned all the bottles upside down for a few minutes and then turned them back, to mix it all up. Both were carbonated fine after 2 weeks. I don't know if this helped or not, but regardless, sediment is going to settle at the bottom again anyway.

Latest posts

Back