Sediment during fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rw75

Reaction score
I've just started fermenting my first batch, it's been sitting for just under a day, and is still running off co2. There is a small amount of sediment in the jug, but a lot of the grain sediment seems to be collecting at the top of the jug near the neck. It looks like it's clumping up. Is this, in itself, a problem? How do I prevent sucking up the sediment collected at the top when it comes time to bottle? It is important to note that the collected sediment appears to be above the liquid, and is not floating.

If it has been in the fermenter 1 day you have nothing to worry about. what you are actually seeing is Krausen created by the yeast. This will drop to the bottom when the fermentation nears completion. If things are not dropping out by the time you are ready to bottle, put the fermenter in the fridge to cold crash it. This will force the yeast to drop to the bottom as they don't like the cold temps. Then you can bottle clear beer! Enjoy!

if I'm following you correctly, that's what is known as 'krausen'. it will eventually fall to the bottom as well

The hard (but wise) thing to do now is to leave it covered and completely alone for the next 10 days before taking your first gravity sample. It'll get done when it gets done. Opening it up and looking at it doesn't help and can hurt if any contaminants get in.

Back