Sediment at the bottom of fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushukumono

Reaction score
Does this look right? That discoloration has me a bit worried.

img2199uh.jpg

Looks perfectly fine...you have a layer of beer on top of a layer of break material/trub on top of a nice layer of yeast.

Looks pretty much like what you get when you wash yeast, perfect layers like that.

Cool, thanks. Seems like a lot of trub though.

Hmm...I'll have to look into that yeast wash, and learning all this nomenclature...

Cool, thanks. Seems like a lot of trub though.

Hmm...I'll have to look into that yeast wash, and learning all this nomenclature...

My chocolate mole porter and my pumpkin ales have had twice that amount in there. It's prteins, fats, lipids, hops and anything else you may have in your brew...usually it just all lands together in one lump we collectively call trub, but if the situation is right you get striations or stratified layers like that.

As to yeast washing, here;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/y...ed-41768/?highlight=yeast+washing+illustrated

Yeah, the color of the trub can go anywhere from a light tan color to a dark brown.....just depends on the beer being brewed. I've also had quite a bit more trub then that with various beers. When my fermenting beers are in an ice bath, I notice there are particulates that settle in all the ridges in my glass carboy. My beers still get clear, as those particulates just seem to stick on the sides of the vessel.

Back