Secure your CO2 cylinders!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opercularia

Reaction score
I had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago, but that's not what almost killed me.

I had brought my refilled CO2 cylinder in from the car and set it down by my keezer. I had chest discomfort throughout the afternnoon and then suddenly felt nauseous. As I headed for the washroom, I collapsed beside my keezer.

I was only out for a few seconds, thank god. When I regained consciousness, I heard and saw the CO2 cylinder spewing. I was able to close the valve before calling for help. I'm not sure what opened the valve, perhaps it hit my shoe as it fell over. I wouldn't have expected it to open that easily, but it did.

If I had not regained consciousness that quickly, I would have died of asphyxiation, not the heart attack!

Secure your cylinders!

Glad to hear you're still around! Hope everything works out OK for you man.

Rev.

I'm surprised that they don't secure the hand-wheel valve with a zip-tie for transport. That's a good practice with any gas cylinder that doesn't have a cylinder cap.

All of my cylinders have solid hand-wheels - no hole for a zip tie. I am looking into thread caps, but so far haven't found anything here in Canada.

I noticed on my last CO2 refill that the entire valve assembly had been shrink wrapped and wondered why they would have started doing that. Now it kind of makes sense.

Glad to know you made it out OK.

My God, best of future health to you.
Some years ago a bottle delivery driver was killed in my area by an unsecured tank that fell in his truck, knocking off the head, and rocketed into him as he drove.
I gained an immediate and intense respect of those damned things ever since.

Get that heart taken care of, my man!

Also if possible, secure the cylinder in the trunk. If it falls over and opens in the backseat, someone could take out others too.

Glad you're okay!

Back