Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILJONNYWV

Reaction score
I have my first lager in the primary and it is just about time to start lagering, but not sure if I really need to rack it to a secondary. I usually don't rack my ales and didn't know if it would make a difference on a lager.

Yes. Rack to secondary or corny keg for lagering. If you lager for an extended period of time on the yeast they may contribute less than clean flavors to the beer. There is no benefit to leaving it on the yeast during lagering.

Some folks have started lagering in primary. But as much as I am probably the biggest advocate of long primaries...I still rack to secondary to lager. I still wait a month, then do a d-rest and rack and lager. Lagers are meant to be really clean and flawless, and less forgiving. If there were any issues from prolonged yeast contact past the first couple months, it would show up in a lager.

lager = secondary.

No Lager= "To Store" or "To Age," the definition says nothing about where that is done in. Traditionally it has been done in a brite tank, BUT many folks have been lagering in primary (though the jury is still out where I'm concerned.)

Actually in Feb. or March in the Mr Wizard column in BYO magazine, he advocated lagering in bottles....going from primary to bottles and then THOSE in the cold.

Lagers are clean, crisp and without yeast character. I like yeast character in my ales, but in a lager I almost always get the beer off of the yeast cake by about day 14.

If you want to make a classic lager, I would say the best way to do it is to rack right after the diacteyl rest and beginning lagering.

This is kinda what im going for for my first lager. I fermented about 10 days,dicacetial rest when it slowed towards the 10 day for 2 DAYS racked to secondary then started lagering after the diacetal @40-45 deg for 3-4 weeks then will bottle(room-temp?) for 3-4 wks then stick in fridge for good.

This is kinda what im going for for my first lager. I fermented about 10 days,dicacetial rest when it slowed towards the 10 day for 2 DAYS racked to secondary then started lagering after the diacetal @40-45 deg forr3-4 weeks then will bottle(room-temp?) for 3-4 wks then stick in fridge for good.

Sounds great. I'm more of a believer in lower and longer. What I mean is lagering at near freezer, for a longer period of time. I think it makes a smoother lager, even though it takes longer.

The recommendation (from George Fix) is to lager at 34 degrees one week for every 8-10 points of OG. So, for a 1.070 beer, I'd lager for 7-9 weeks at 34 degrees.

Im going to try an Octoberfest soon that will be around 1.060... as long as the big guns are assembled, would you recommend repitching yeast for a beer lagered that long if im going to be bottle conditioning, and does is really matter what kind of yeast is used as long as it is clean and flocculant?

You shouldn't need to, BUT it wouldn't hurt. A lot of folks seem to like champagne yeast for carbing. That's what I'm going to use when I carb up my barleywine that I'm aging for another 4 years. Thats been in a tertiary for nearly a year....

I've always used about 1/3 package of dry nottingham to carb up lagers after a long lagering period. It works very well, and I've been happy with it.

Wine yeast tend to have really "loose" lees and I'm not sure if EC-1118 would be more attenuative than some of the lager yeast strains so I'd be a little hesitant to use it on a lower OG lager. In a barleywine, of course, no problem, but I would probably reconsider it for a lower OG "clean" beer.

I've mixed up the priming solution, cooled it in the bottling bucket, and then stirred in 1/3 package of nottingham yeast and then racked the beer into it. It's always worked great for me.

Actually in Feb. or March in the Mr Wizard column in BYO magazine, he advocated lagering in bottles....going from primary to bottles and then THOSE in the cold.

Did he give, do you remember, the reason behind this? I've always been tempted to try this.

Did he give, do you remember, the reason behind this? I've always been tempted to try this.

It just so happens his answer is online, and I can quote it directly. :)

Mr Wizard March/April 2011 said:
I am making a classic style Pilsner and was wondering how long I can lager the beer in the secondary fermenter and in the bottles? Is two months in the secondary too long? Should I condition it longer in the secondary or in the bottles?
Dave Wood

I think this question probably will generate two very different answers depending upon who you ask. In this case you asked me and will get my take on it. Let’s back up . . . why lager beer at all? The most common reasons cited for lagering, or aging before serving, are diacetyl reduction, acetaldehyde reduction, clarification and carbonation.

Some folks talk about flavor maturation, flavor mellowing and beer stabilization when they talk about lagering, but these are all different terms for the four objectives I cited. The only thing that should be performed before bottling is clarification, and this only needs to be done partially since yeast is needed for bottle conditioning and the bottle bottom serves reasonably well to keep yeast sediment out of the beer, provided that some care is exercised when moving bottles around and when the beer is poured.

I suggest fermenting your lager until the final gravity is stabilized and then allowing it to sit at the fermentation temperature for a few days to give the diacetyl and acetaldehyde reduction steps a solid head start, if not more than enough time to be complete. Move the beer to a cold place, such as a refrigerator or snow bank for about a week. The cold temperature will knock a lot of the yeast out of solution and make racking easier prior to bottling. I then would rack, prime and bottle.

If you want to hold your Pilsner for a couple of months prior to drinking I would suggest the hold step after bottling because the bottle has everything you need for lagering; yeast, beer, fermentable sugars and a mechanism to hold the carbon dioxide in the container (the bottle cap). This is of course not traditional for lagers. Most lagers brewed in the old days, which is what brewers often reference when discussing “traditional” methods, were aged in large tanks or barrels and then moved into smaller barrels where they would be transported to the tavern for serving.

I wonder why then lager yeast sucha as s-23 says optimum ferment temp is 54 and given this temp,not to lager any lower than 45 degrees?Dosent the 10 degree rule still apply or is it just particularly dry yeast.Saying near freezing temps wouldnt be good as far as those instructions.Because below 45 what happens that they suggest then?

jonmohno said:
I wonder why then lager yeast sucha as s-23 says optimum ferment temp is 54 and given this temp,not to lager any lower than 45 degrees?Dosent the 10 degree rule still apply or is it just particularly dry yeast.Saying near freezing temps wouldnt be good as far as those instructions.Because below 45 what happens that they suggest then?

Those are fermentation temps

I guess it just keeps the terms fermenting a lagering confusing then.That sucks i could have kept mine under 40 with more attention in a swamp cooler i guess,oh well ill see what happens with this.

Back