Quantcast

secondary

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HughBrooks

Reaction score
I m making belgian wit amd when I transfer to the secondary glass carboy I am suppose to add dried orange peel. My question is when should I transfer? My primary is glass so I can see everything. Should I wait till the yeast star to flocculate? Or is that too late?

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
What was your OG and what's your gravity now?

I never rack to a secondary until the yeast has attenuated to 75%...like this: OG / 4 = FG.

If you rack too soon you're taking the brew off of working yeast.

Many people will tell you that it is not necessary to secondary any Weizens and Wits, which are supposed to be cloudy. I alway do secondaries because I want most of the yeast to fall out. I add a little back into the bottling bucket or the keg to keep the brew cloudy, but remember this: any sediment that falls out in the secondary will not be in your bottles. ;)

As for adding more ingredients, taste it first to see if it needs it.

OP
H

HughBrooks

Reaction score
I have and have read most of the John Palmer book and it is a great book! This beer turned out a little light on the OG... around 1.039. I came to the conclusion that I need to use 3 thermometers from now on when I mash my grain. (this was a partial mash recipe by the way). Because I think I mashed too low. Anyway. I still have at least till tomarrow before I would do anything. The recipe is one from my LHBS and in the directions that come with it it says to transfer it as soon as the airlock slows down. That is not what I have read or seen in most places. This is the first time I have made this type of beer so I was just looking for some extra input. I will use my best judgment based on all my info put together. The yeast is safebrew T-58 by the way.