secondary vs. long primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The difference is in a secondary you transfer the beer off the yeast in order to prevent autolysis which is highly debated with Ale unless you are doing a long fermentation ie 3 months with lets say a barleywine. Long primary are just what it sounds like you leave it in the primary which current trends and beliefs seem to favor. Lager is a different story as a typical lager is appx 2-3 months and secondary's are preferable. I have done long primary and secondary and have not really tasted any difference with ales. The only kinda positive I could see with a secondary is that the finished beer tends to be clearer. But I am no expert so someone with more knowledge than myself may completely disagree.

You do realize this is one of the most discussed topics on here? There's at least 3 discussion threads about it going on today alone.

And this one to me is the best and most detailed. Read this.

And despite what Aschecte says about clarity, most of us who opt for long primary, actually believe, our beer is clearer from long primaries, since the yeast cake compresses, and the yeast has more time to clean up and flocculate out.

If we are talking about a typical ale, I would leave it in primary for 2 weeks and then keg or bottle. I used to go 1 week primary, transfer and then another week in secondary, but with an ale you don't need it depending on how or if you dry hop. That extra transfer to secondary is just another chance for infection or oxidation. I leave in a glass carboy for 2 weeks, transfer to a corny keg and if I'm dry hopping, I tie off a 3" SS tea ball full of pellets. I leave it for 1 week, remove, and then into my keezer for 2 weeks on 12 psi.

If we are talking about a typical ale, I would leave it in primary for 2 weeks and then keg or bottle. I used to go 1 week primary, transfer and then anothe week in secondary, but with an ale you don't need it depending on how or if you dry hop. That extra transfer to secondary is just another chance for infection or oxidation. I leave in a glass carboy for 2 weeks, transfer to a corny keg and if I'm dry hopping, I tie off a 3" SS tea ball full of pellets. I leave it for 1 weeks, remove, and then into my keezer for 2 weeks on 12 psi.
not to steal this thread but i like your dry hopping method I just dryhopped a IIPa and it was a freakin mess trying to remove them from my primary into the keg. just one question after you put pellets into the ball what do you use to tie it off and to where on the keg? Just PM me if you don't mind I hate to steal a thread.

I stopped using a secondary a couple of years ago and probably wont' go back. I use it for anythign that is going to sit longer than 2 months, like a Barleywine or RIS or something.

I just find that a long primary (3 weeks +) basically does what a secondary will do and there is no danger from rotten yeast in that much time. It's one less step that could potentially introduce unwanted bacteria or oxygen into the beer, and it's less work.

But in the grand scheme of things, a secondary likely won't be a detriment either, so just do what you want.

... confession time, here. I've left several beers in primary for a helluva lot longer than two months, and there's absolutely no sign of autolysis. It hasn't been an intentional decision, but I've just gotten busy and unable to get beers moved or kegged for months on end. Like, eight or nine months. Beers that I don't even remember brewing ("What the **** is this? Ah, it's an IPA! It's good!")

I'd heard precious few real-world examples of homebrewers who have run into real issues with autolysis. It just doesn't seem to be anything to stress about at all.

... confession time, here. I've left several beers in primary for a helluva lot longer than two months, and there's absolutely no sign of autolysis. It hasn't been an intentional decision, but I've just gotten busy and unable to get beers moved or kegged for months on end. Like, eight or nine months. Beers that I don't even remember brewing ("What the **** is this? Ah, it's an IPA! It's good!")

I'd heard precious few real-world examples of homebrewers who have run into real issues with autolysis. It just doesn't seem to be anything to stress about at all.

Longest I did was 5.5 months. I have several BJCP judge friends, and I had some of that beer w with me during the natl. homebrew day in may. One of them just kept raving about this beer.

Back