Secondary Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was under the impression that the temp isnt as critical and that it wont cause off flavors if the temp is a little high while in the secondary... but I have heard that lower temps aid in the settling out... my secondary and primary stay somewhere in the area of 68-72 degrees and I havent had any problems yet, knock on wood... hehee... good luck..

Jester

Jester said:
I was under the impression that the temp isnt as critical and that it wont cause off flavors if the temp is a little high while in the secondary.
I'm not sure this is true...I believe high temps can cause problems whether it's in the primary, secondary, or already bottled. Certainly the problem won't be as pronounced in secondary or bottles as it would be in the primary, but IMHO very high temps can still be a problem in the secondary. As you said tho, low temps for the secondary are a good thing.

Back