Secondary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridarunner68

Reaction score
This is the first time I have done a secondary since I started in 2001 and with gelatin. This will go into a keg.

I let the gelatin bloom for 20 minutes and then brought it up to 170 degrees. I let it cool. When my 5 gallon glass carboy got half-way, I poured it in gently on the hose. I filled up the carboy allowing about 1 inch of air space in the neck.

Now, over the next week is it ok to give the carboy a quick twist to allow the sediment to fall off the inside wall of the carboy? I do this with my wine and it works great.

Thanks for your answers. - Rob

I understand what you plan on doing with the twist. I've never seen my beer collect sediment on the carboy walls though. I'm sure you won't have a problem as long as you don't splash, which would cause oxidation.

My carboy has "ribs". I don't know how else to explain it, but it collects on the rib. I already tried and it and it worked fine. All the sediment is on the bottom. I wish I would have used gelatin when I first started back in 2001. The Irish red looks great! It fermented from 1.045 to 1.010 and has the reddish with no sediment.

Back