Secondary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellycarp

Reaction score
I decided to condition my 3rd batch in a secondary fermenter only because i moved my carboy from the bathroom to the garage after 2 weeks (first time using the new glass) and i realized how much i disturbed the sedimentation during the move. I thought that if I racked to a clean bucket and let it settle, i could bottle with less sediment.

tomorrow will be a week in the bucket ad i just realized in my sleep that I went to all kinds of trouble to use and air lock in the glass to keep outside air out, but then, even though i was very careful to transfer carefully, i still had about 2-3 inches of air at the top of the bucket. Of course i sealed the bucket with an airlock and lid, but still, i strapped a bunch of new air inside there.

did i just create a problem?

Cheers!
Smelly

It's pretty much impossible to move a batch of beer without moving a decent amount of yeast. This amount of movement will cause at least a minor amount of fermentation. Even a minor amount of fermentation will provide a co2 layer to protect your beer from oxygen/headspace.

Remember that until recently moving every batch to a secondary was the recommended way to treat every batch. You have to do something wrong to cause a significant negative impact to a batch of beer. Neither moving to a secondary nor leaving in primary for a reasonable amount of time count as "something wrong."

Yeah, it's not going to ruin your beer, everybody here that doesn't keg but uses a secondary has that air in there too. Just try not to shake it up. :)

I doubt you've done any damage, but I move my carboy form the freezer to the kitchen counter a couple of hours before kegging. It does stir up the yeast, but the couple of hours is enough to let the yeast settle out again.

-a.

Back