Secondary question about mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beandroid

Reaction score
I fermented my mead for a month and transferred it to a secondary today, to top it up I added about a gallon of spring water and honey. Should I just bottle it or do I need to transfer it again due to the secondary fermentation that will occur? How long should I keep it in the secondary?

Typically you let it sit for a few months. You probably have a lot of clarification left to go, and bulk aging will do wonders for your mead.

Let sit 2 months, then rack to secondary to clear up to nearly the level you can read print through it. It should clear on it's own. Then at that level either rack again to bulk age for 6 months to a year or bottle age it and let it sit for a year. Also, you may wish to oak it. Just 1 oz of cubes or chips. Cubes take longer but are easier to control, chips are quicker and you need to watch it. Tippacally I like 1 oz of oak chips, lightly toasted for 1 month in it while it settles, then bottle after clear.

Matrix

Latest posts

Back