Secondary - Now or next week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonneville

Reaction score
Here's my first post...

Last Sunday I brewed my 7th batch of homebrew... a LME APA. It's now Saturday night, and I still have some limited activity in the airlock. Unfortunately, I leave on vacation tomorrow for a week. So, should I rack to the secondary tonight (despite the limited airlock activity) or just wait until next week. Sunday night is the earliest that I could get back to it, which would be 14 days in the primary.

Since leaving the beer in the primary too long can be bad for flavor and racking too early can also be bad, I'm not sure what to do. What's the lesser of two evils here? :confused:

Thanks.

14 days in primary won't hurt your brew a bit.

The Cali Common I just brewed is going to be in primary for 3 weeks and then right into bottles. I'm skipping secondary altogether on this batch.

Matt

I had my pale ale in primary for 24 days (first batch) and what I've tried so far has come out great!

Back