secondary necessary for clearing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drathbone

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a kolsch for a competition with my HBC. From my understanding a kolsch is supposed to be really clear. Is a secondary a good idea, better safe than sorry, to clear out my beer? Should I cold crash? How long should the cold crash be? Right now I'm at 23 days in the primary.

You should have a nicely compacted yeast cake after 21 days. I have noticed my beers are considerably clearer now that I leave them in the primary for 3 weeks, however I still rack to a secondary for a week and there is still a little yeast cake on the bottom of it by the time I keg.

Eric

Not trying to complicate thing,I should have formed my question better. Do you have the ability to keg?

No. Even if I did, how would that help me in a competition that requires bottling?

i always cold crash when i keg. works great. with the bottles the yeast has to be in suspension to carb, so i'm not sure if cold crashing would be pointless? i didn't start cold crashing untill i was kegging and haven't bottled since, so i don't know. but i am bottling the two i have in primary now. anyone know if cold crashing has any benifit when bottling?

you could keg then bottle from the keg. no yeast on the bottom. (atleast if you serve soon after bottling)

Right, however I don't have kegging equipment and it doesn't seem very practical? Why not natural carb and serve as is? BJCP Judges and pourers understand not everybody has yeast filters in an amateur beer competition.

drathbone said:
Right, however I don't have kegging equipment and it doesn't seem very practical? Why not natural carb and serve as is? BJCP Judges and pourers understand not everybody has yeast filters in an amateur beer competition.

I think after 23 days you should be good to cold crash that sucker to clear it up the rest of the way. I have been researching cold crashing as well and would think one week in the fridge should get it as clear as its gonna get and then bottle.

Should I rack to secondary prior to cold crashing or should primary be fine? Also, after cold crash there's still enough yeasties to bottle carb right?

edit: as you can tell I'm new to both of these methods. My first beer was an "american ale" kit which cleared out pretty well with none of the above methods, simply with some irish moss at the end of the boil. I am however, super paranoid and want to do everything to be sure my kolsch comes out great and as close to style as possible. Hence my starting this thread asking for opinions.

i wasnt suggesting that, i was replying to why he might be asking you if you were kegging

Should I rack to secondary prior to cold crashing or should primary be fine? Also, after cold crash there's still enough yeasties to bottle carb right?

edit: as you can tell I'm new to both of these methods. My first beer was an "american ale" kit which cleared out pretty well with none of the above methods, simply with some irish moss at the end of the boil. I am however, super paranoid and want to do everything to be sure my kolsch comes out great and as close to style as possible. Hence my starting this thread asking for opinions.

not an expert, but i think primary would be ok. also there are still plenty of yeast after cold crashing.

havent done it myself yet but ive wanted to try couldnt he use gelatin fillings?
like i said havent done it so i couldnt tell you how but i heard they help clear your beer up alot

havent done it myself yet but ive wanted to try couldnt he use gelatin fillings?
like i said havent done it so i couldnt tell you how but i heard they help clear your beer up alot

If you are bottle conditioning you stand to remove the yeast with the gelatin.

Seems to me that if you were entering a beer competition, the judges would be tolerant of a little yeast in the bottom of the bottle. They can't expect everyone to filter their beer, do they?

NRS

Back